Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 31 years old and have worsening knee and pain in tops

Customer Question

i am 31 years old and have worsening knee and pain in tops of my legs this seems to not really be lessen by resting or activity. Also find that couple hours of activity wipes me out - i literally cannot stay awake any longer. also suffer from depression
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.
This is Dr. David
are you willing to see a doctor and get treatment for your depression?
depression can cause body aches and pains.
antidepression medications like cymbalta can help fight depression and help decrease body aches.
treating your depression could give you more energy
you need to get blood test to check for thyroid hormone levels as well.
do you have a GP doctor you can see?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
im being treated fr the depression and anaemia
I see.
anemia can take a while to correct to bring up your hemoglobin and iron levels
depression can take several weeks on medications to fix depression.
what medications are you taking?
how long have you been taking them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5 years and sertralene --- i dont want to change again and depression feels managed just the pain tats new im scared its cfs or something
I see
what dose of sertraline are you on?
have you had your iron levels checked and hemoglobin levels checked to see if they are better?
iron deficiency should not take 5 years go fix.
you also need your thyroid hormone levels checked as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thyroid levels are normal , or were last time they were checksI am on 200mg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
then it get reduced to 150 for so long before it put back to 200
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
think iron caused by heavy periods.... but birth control tablets did not make difference and not prepared to go for other options
heavy periods can cause loss of iron.
if you don't stop the heavy periods, you will continue to loose iron and be anemic.
200mg is max dose of sertraline
if you are still depressed, you might need additional medications.
there are additional medications which can help your depression symptoms.
have you talked to your GP doctor about your depression symptoms?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, but all is said that I need to do the group support therapy ..... however it makes me quite poorly headwise and self harm, and suicidal intentions so feel need to protect myself from that. So feels pointless going back GP with the depression,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
However the depression side things I am not so bad.. its just the pain in my legs and knee. And the effect that having on my day and mobility
are you willing to talk to a psychiatrist MD doctor?
you should be seeing a psychotherapist weekly as well if you don't want to do group
you should ask about additional medications like aripiprazole or clozapine or quetiapine or resperidone which could help your sertraline work better for you.
you could gout in your knees or early arthritis or tendonitis in your knee.
you might need a knee xray or MRI scan to help with diagnosis.
you should be able to talk to your GP doctor about pain in your knee.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they saying that not available and because im in uk they have to agree to that unless i go private but thats not possibility.
those medications are available to you
you might have to see a psychiatrist to get them.
you should ask your GP doctor to refer you to see a psychiatrist.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you aware how UK works ? --
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not think it is my GP who can do that, they can only refer me to mental health team I think, and it is them that says only group therapy is available.
your GP can make all sorts of referrals to specialist
and the mental health team can assess your symptoms and see if additional medications are necessary or not.