Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have inflamed ribs it all began when I drank 1can of red

I have inflamed ribs it all began when I drank 1can of red bull over about 4 months. Chest pain started occasionally then increased with the pain. So went to see a doctor he said inflamed ribs and gave up red bull. It took time for the pains to go but eventually did.
I brought some online diet pills it was the 2nd day I woke up with the same problem so gave that up the pain stopped. When the pain happened I drink some magnesium a drink called Calm the anti stress drink. This settles things.
Moving forward I woke up at 4.30am with slight pain like before know it's my ribs again. So drank magnesium the pain lessened. So think if it was any thing serious the pain would become unbearable?. I just have a slight pain when I move my body but nothing to drastic.
I have anxiety so this wasn't helping I felt giddy through panicking not any more this was at the start of this pain.
I have one more cup of magnesium to see if that helps the rest of the little uncomfort.
Before I did try to go to sleep after waking because of this pain but couldn't because every time I moved pain was in my ribs apart from that no pain. The time is 6.39am.
Is there any recommendations I can try at home?. Why am I left with a little pain when I move?. Usually the pain goes fully within 20 minutes but it lessened. Does this sound like a serious problem?. What condition in medical terms is this?.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The inflammation of the ribs is typically at the ends of the ribs where they connect to cartilage (and the cartilage then attaches to the breast bone). There are joints at each ends of the ribs, so that the ribs can move to allow for expansion of the chest cavity and inflate the lungs, and these joints are the primary site of inflammation. The medical term for this condition is costochondritis. Costochondritis is the most common cause of chest pain in young adults. This is a condition that is not serious, although it can cause pain that can be quite severe in some people. The pain can be of such severity that the individual may think that they are having a heart attack. The pain can vary from mild to severe, and can vary from very brief pain to pain that last days and weeks. If the magnesium that has worked previously is not effective, then the usual next step would be an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also can help to apply moist heat to the chest, such as by a moist heating pad or soaking in hot bath water or hot tub. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If I can assist you with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain is very slight now after some pain killers will do the trick.Thanks.