Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Is it possible of the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia

Is it possible for some of the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia to be completely cured or even better to make a complete recovery from it? Also I've read abit about the benefits if high doses of niacin for schizophrenic patients have you heard about it and do you think it's worth a try?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Yes it is possible.This is known as consumer driven recovery. The consumer-driven model is a blend of function, life-satisfaction, and independence. Despite scientific efforts to capture this outcome, there are no currently accepted scales to measure recovery The role of niacin is not fully proven. Niacin high doses has several side effects --flushing, peptic ulcer, high blood sugar. So if tolerated, then may be tried. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I paid you £29 for a question, now I've been offered 10 more questions is this included in the £29 or is it an additional £29.How long is it normal to take risperidone for, can you take it for the entire course of my life or is it usually only for a few years do to safety reasons?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
You are good from payment point of view. Risperidone can be ta***** *****fe long. Side effects are monitored periodically. Clinically, if you are free of symptoms for 6 months, then risperidone taper may be attempted and ultimately discontinued to see if symptoms recur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What multivitamins have been said to be good for schizophrenia, I don't mind if they haven't been fully proven just any that spring to mind or are to rumoured.I take 4 mg of fish oil a day.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Supplements like Glycine starting at 4 gram daily and then increasing by 4 gram till effect achieved. Ginkgobiloba 240 to 360 mg daily Inositol 12 to 18 grams daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the supposed effects of these 3 multivitamins?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
They are supposed to improve blood circulation, nerve conduction and correct chemical imbalances in the brain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What sort of therapies are good for schizophrenia are there many or a few what are the main ones? Cbt seems to be used for allot of mental illnesses?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Family intervention therapy can be employed. Social skill training is another mode of therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is family intervention therapy and what does it involve and what is social skill training. If I need to give my psychiatrist some idea of what I'd like I need to know what it is in more detail. Just saying social skill training sounds abit vague is that what it's actually called.
Also what dosages of glycine and ginkgo biloba are necessary for schizophrenia. Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is family intervention therapy and social skill training if I am to give my psychiatrist an idea of what I want I need to know in more detail ATM it just seems abit vague?
Also what dosages of glycine and ginkgo biloba are necessary for schizophrenia? Cheers.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
A family intervention for schizophrenia seeks to establish a collaborative process involving the patient, family and clinician.Patients and family members receive education about the nature, course, and treatment of schizophrenia.For patients with multiple relapses of schizophrenia who reside in a particularly stressful family environment, a more intensive, problem-solving family therapy has been developedSocial skills training-- Deficits in areas such as social interactions and independent living skills often interfere with the ability of people with schizophrenia to perform everyday activities and to function in the community. As examples, individuals may have difficulties with personal care, cooking, laundry, paying bills, use of public transportation, leisure activities, developing social networks, and dating. Best wishes
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Supplements like Glycine starting at 4 gram daily and then increasing by 4 gram till effect achieved.Ginkgobiloba 240 to 360 mg dailyInositol 12 to 18 grams daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am keen to try niacin, the only problem is I've read that it may interact with ginkgo biloba which I'm also thinking of trying and antioxidants which I currently take. Are either of these interactions known to you and should I not try niacin then. The thing is is that I read of these interactions on an obscure website so wondering if there was any truth to them.
Also risperidone raises blood sugar and I've heard that niacin dose as well, but there doesn't appear to be much of a warning about the double combination if I am fit and healthy, eat well and exercise should I not be to concerned about this?
Also I've looked at the recommended dosage for schizophrenics for niacin and it says minimum of 3000mg which is way, way over the normal rda, does this figure automatically say do not try or is niacin fairly well tolerated?