Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I have recently given up a 15yr daily cannabis habit (3 weeks

Customer Question

I have recently given up a 15yr daily cannabis habit (3 weeks clean) and have since been plagued with intense vivid dreams and nightmares.
I am a professional songwriter and musician. Every song i have ever written i have used and heavily relied on cannabis to create.
Now i am clean from drugs i am striggling to become creative. I am seeing very slow progress and hope to train my brain to be creative and have the focus i used to have.
My question relates to a correlation i think i am seeing: When i have days when i force myself to be creative, i seem to get much more violent or scarey nighmares, instead of intense normal dreams.
Is this a neurological pattern? And is there hope for my creativity? Is my brain repairing itself?
Worried x
Richie
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.Well, you since you have been taking cannabis for so long a period that your body system has become accustomed to its presence therefore now that you have stopped it 3 weeks back, the body is taking its time to adjust to the absence of cannabis in its system and hence is producing withdrawal symptoms which eventually will go away once the body learns to live without cannabis in due course of time. In other words, yes the brain is fine tuning itself in the absence of cannabis which used to work on it. As far as creativity is concerned, please do not let cannabis take the credit for it, it was you all along that had those creative ideas but now since you are in withdrawal so the creative ideas may have become scanty but do not worry as time passes by , say 1-2 months, you may start feeling creative all over again. So i will conclude by saying..-- Do not get worked up and take stress as it is a normal physiological phenomenon for the brain to reset itself after the stopping of a psychedelic substance and in the midst of this revival few untoward and distressing withdrawal symptoms are produced such as nightmares in your case which are transient and shall go away once your brain and body get fully adjusted to the absence of cannabis over the course of next few weeks.-- I will suggest you to ask your physician to prescribe you a sleep aid drug to counter your nightmares such as ambien 5-10 mg on PRN basis (that is as and when required basis) so that poor quality of sleep does not impede your creativity.-- Kindly consider it as a normal body mechanism to re-adjust itself upon stopping of cannabis, so please give the body and brain enough time for it and do not be hasty to achieve full creativity.I hop this makes sense and allays your doubts.Wish you speedy recovery. Keep your self well hydrated by taking plenty of fluids which shall help in hastening the process of recovery from withdrawal symptoms.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards