Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My son, in his mid 50's is in dire need of a

Customer Question

Hello. My son, in his mid 50's is in dire need of a diagnosis re his intermittent periods of illness, with no apparent cause i.e. no obvious symptoms like coughs, etc etc, but is just stricken down, without warning feeling soooo unwell and depressed. This has affected him over many years and when not experiencing these difficult times, he is a buoyant successful businessman. He likens this to an allergy to pollen, which also affects him. At present, he is contemplating heading off on some prolonged overseas travel, but it would be wonderful to find a reason for the way his 'illnesses' are triggered off. Why have I homed in on 'immunology'? Because I have been treated, for approx 35 yrs, for 2 auto-immune diseases, primary biliary cirrhosis, and hypothyroidism. Am I on the right track, I wonder?? Vicki *********.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know what kind of blood tests has he had for his symptoms?Does he have any other medical problems?Is he on any medications for anything at the present moment?Please let me know.Kindest regards