Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

During fore play my partner cut me near my vsgina. I immeduately

Customer Question

During fore play my partner cut me near my vsgina. I immeduately seemed medical advice. I made an appointment and got antibiotics and a barrier cream. I revisited my doctor and advised it has healed well. I am on day 15 when can I have sex again?
Is it true that cuts near the vagina can take months to heal? There is some minor swelling due to where the cut was but it is not uncomfortable
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Part of the issue here is what is meant by healing.
Cuts near the vagina will almost always heal well and quickly. It will only rarely take months for primary healing of a cut near the vagina to heal.
It is worth noting that a deep cut anywhere on the body will create a scar and it will normally take months for a scar to reorganize into the barely noticeable scar that most people associate with a well-healed cut. So, for a deep cut, it can be said that it can take months to fully heal, and that would include cuts near the vagina. However, when most people ask about time to healing, they usually are not including this scar reorganization.
It would be fine to resume sex now. The usual recommendation is that sex can be resumed when the cut is visibly healed and there is no longer any pain or discomfort. Minor swelling without discomfort is not a reason to avoid sex.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.