Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have various mental health problems and on a lot of

Customer Question

i have various mental health problems and on a lot of tablets a day. calciumcarb calecal400iu-2 a day esomeprazole-1 aday.-40mg 1 70mg-1 aweek.alendronic acid .ferrous sulfate 200mg-3a day. 20mg caps fluoxetine -2a day lamotrigine100mg-2 aday quetiapine250mg a day zopiclone7.5mg-1 a day .as i am unable to work and am therefore on benefits i get them free in england can you tell me what the situation will be in france.is there any type of doctor i would need to go to for these what about treatment for other illnesses too?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are two separate issues to consider in this situation. First, the issue is whether you would be eligible for France's health care system. When someone first moves to France, they frequently are not eligible for the government system, so would need to maintain their own private health insurance. Even the insurance that is available in France has varying drug coverage. Therefore, it is the insurance that you carry that will determine the coverage of the cost of medicines in France. Second, regarding the process for obtaining a prescription, most of these medicines can be prescribed by your GP and it would be the decision of your GP whether referral to a specialist is warranted. Someone with more significant mental health problems will frequently need to be referred to a Psychiatrist, but that will be up to your GP. Within the french health care system, it is allowed for patients to see a specialist without a referral from their GP, but the coverage is better when it is based on a referral from the GP. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.