Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Dear Dr, My son (14 years) has an intermittent cough which

Customer Question

Dear Dr,
My son (14 years) has an intermittent cough which leads to vomiting. It has been ongoing for almost 2 weeks now. This is following a rather long episode of cold symptoms which he had over the Christmas period. His mother had similar cold symptoms also. To rectify the cold, both were given a course of antibiotics to be taken if cold symptoms lasted more than a week. His mother took hers but my son didn't; that is not until the cold continued.
I'm wondering if he has something residual like nora virus. We are having a little difficulty in taking him to the GP. What can you suggest?
kindest regards,
Peter Haynes
email:***@******.*** or phone 07958 283 423
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
he needs to see a GP doctor and get a chest xray and sputum culture if he is coughing up sputum.
he could have a bacterial pneumonia
or a bronchitis viral or bacterial
or he could be having asthma attacks or bronchiectasis swelling of his airways causing cough.
he should have tried his course of antibiotics first. this would have eliminated bacterial causes for his cough.
if he has asthma, this can be diagnosed with a peak flow meter or pulmonary function testing. asthma medications would be needed.
if he has bronchiectasis, he would need a course of steroid therapy to help decrease swelling of his airways to calm down cough.
he has to see his GP or else the cause of his cough will not be determined.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanks for accepting additional phone consult services.
my contact information is below
let me know if you would like me to call you in the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks to Dr David. I shall take your advice and consider the follow up suggestions. You were very reassuring and helpful.Thank you kindly for your very prompt response.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
thanks for using JustAnswer.com