Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Dr Ravoof . I was just wondering if my reply reached you

Customer Question

Hi Dr Ravoof .
I was just wondering if my reply reached you ? This is what I sent :
Well I was discussing things over with my GP and she agreed as we had already discussed that there is no known cancer risk linked with swallowing a foreign body and that the type of chronic inflammation and fibrosis that foreign bodies may cause if retained in this way has not been shown as a risk for cancer . But I know you had said that certain chronic inflammation does cause cancer and that this is a developing feild . I was just concerned that is it possible with future research that they may say this inflammation caused by a swallowed foreign body can cause cancer or is it the same thoughts as with my concern before that knowledge is unlikely to change due to the facts that are established . Hope it's ok to ask since having this further review with my GP .
Many thanks,
Claire
Expert:  Ken replied 10 months ago.
Hello Claire,I am Dr Ken and I would be happy to help you. Do you want me to reply or would you wait for Dr Ravoof?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Ken .
If it's ok could I wait for Dr Ravoof on this one only because it's following on from a previous discussion if that's ok .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually ken is it possible to speak with yourself ? I don't think Dr Ravoof is going to get back to me .
Expert:  Ken replied 10 months ago.
Yes I would be happy to help you. I see that you are worried about getting cancer from old foreign body. Can you give me bit more details?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Ken .
Thank you so much .
Yes I have been really worried as I can't be sure if my baby accidently swallowed a plastic tag off of a toy . (The tags that hold the toys in place in the packaging ) .
I spoke to Dr Ravoof previously about this as I'm really worried it may not pass and retain in her body indefinitely .
Dr Ravoof said that there is a theoretic risk for cancer if this happens . I think maybe because inflammation can cause cancer and foreign bodies can cause inflammation . He said that there is no clinical evidence or case reports of cancer being caused in this way but I can't help but feel worried about the fact that if this tag walls off in her body or something it could change her cells ? Dr Ravoof said that chronic inflammation is a developing field of knowledge so this risk for cancer ican not be ruled out as all the facts are not known . This is what really scares me and I just wanted some more information if possible . He said that there is no evidence of this type of inflammation caused by a foreign body causing cancer but other types of chronic inflammation can cause cancer . I'm just a bit confused by it all and just wanted some clarification .Many thanks and sorry for long explanation .Claire .
Expert:  Ken replied 10 months ago.
I do understand your anxiety.Chronic inflammation does increase risk of cancer - due to repeated irritation of the area. This happens if the foreign body stays in the body {in skin, muscle or other place} and is not expelled out. However when a foreign body is swallowed it passes easily through the bowel loops - due to peristalsis. It is very less likely that a foreign body will stay in the bowel loop. A plastic foreign body is more likely to pass out from the body as it is not that hard and hence will not irritate the bowel wall. If I were you I would not worry of any risk of cancer. Best
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response . Yes I'm really hoping it will of passed through but I know we can't say that it definitely will and that's what scares me . I spoke to my own gp
About it and she said yes there are some types of chronic inflammation that cause cancer and there are some that don't . She said there is no risk in my scenario because there is no clinical evidence of cancer related to a swallowed object when retained and the risk is theoretic. What does that mean ? I will send you a picture of the tags to see if you think they will pass .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
G
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here they are doctor . I just worry as the ends are quite hard plastic see .
Expert:  Ken replied 10 months ago.
Please calm down.I did see the image uploaded by you.Such objects do not cause foreign body reaction if swallowed and they pass easily. There is no data available which indicates chronic inflammation from swallowed object causing cancer till date. I am happy that there are no symptoms too. Do not worry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you doctor I am happy that they will likely pass as I was worried that the ends are so sharp and do not bend easy . If it was a tiny piece like the end stick bit will that not get stuck anywhere ? Also I worried as some of the stuffing came out of the toy . Would o know if she swallowed or inhaled a tiny bit ? I feel so worried that this may cause inflammation .as doctor ravooof said its a developing field could they suddenly say that this can cause cancer ?