Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I came off the depo injection last April and I have

Customer Question

I came off the depo injection last April and I have been bleeding heavily since.
I have 2 weeks of bleeding heavy then 3 days off or light then back bleeding again
can you help me with what this may be?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Since you came off the depo injection have you been on birth control pills? If so, which ones and for how long?Why haven't you been referred to an OB/GYN specialist? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiafter I cam off the injection my GP put me on Microgynon for 6 months, she then changed me in September to Feanolla which she has now taken me off completely as I am still bleeding.
My GP is not listening to me and just brushes it off and says that we will keep an eye on it, but I am now getting frustrated and concerned.
can you help?thanks
Feanolla is a progesterone only pill, and irregular bleeding while taking it is not unusual.However, Microgynon is a combined pill containing both estrogen and progesterone. Such combined pills are generally the best way we have to cause normal, regular periods.Some women have irregular bleeding after coming off the depo injection because they don't ovulate for up to a year. However, that bleeding should be controlled using the combined pill.Since your bleeding wasn't controlled using the Microgynon, that is highly suggestive that there is a problem, either in your uterus or possibly that your blood doesn't clot normally. Since your GP can't manage it, I strongly suggest a referral to an OB/GYN doctor.You may need further studies, especially a hysteroscopy, which is where a scope is placed through the cervix to examine the inside of the uterus. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
You're welcome.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.