Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Can you help? I am 36 years old and have been experiencing

Customer Question

Hello can you help?
I am 36 years old and have been experiencing some forgetfulness - can you help please?
I am very concerned that it could be dementia.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.
This is Dr. David
dementia would be very rare and unlikely at your age of 36
what medications are you taking right now?
many things can cause mild forgetfulness such as alcohol use, excessive anxiety disorder, increased stress in your life, lack of sleep
how long has this been going on?
do you have a GP doctor you can see who can do some tests for you and a minimental examination to check your memory?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I take asthma inhalers and citalopram. I've been aware of forgetfulness since about 2-3 weeks before xmas. I have a list of examples should you need. I keep reading about younger people with dementia and its scaring me.
My mum has alzehimers and I have had a very stressful few months.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry about your mother.
you may want to stop reading about younger people with dementia. this can just worsen your anxiety and doesn't really help the situation.
citalorpam is an SSRI antidepressant which is used to treat excessive depression or anxiety disorder. do you have depression or excessive anxiety disorder?
as I said, excessive stress from your mother having alzehimers disease can cause you to be more forgetful. this doesn't mean you are developing early dementia.
when was the last time you saw your GP doctor?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have been on citalopram for sometime as in recent years I have suffered a lot of anxiety but believe it or not i do better these days.
I have an appt with my gp on Monday about the memory loss but I'm so panicked by it I needed to talk to someone now you know.........
a couple of examples are when I'm on the phone at work which is a lot - asking the customer the same things - not remembering as well as I did, and in dec buying birthday cards again and forgetting I had already brought them.......
it sounds like you are very distracted which can be from work and your mothers alzheimers
these can cause your mind to be very distracted and forgetful
things like regular exercise, regular meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises, mental visualization can help calm the mind.
yoga means to calm or still the mind. and is a set of stretching and posing exercises which can help calm and center your mind.
you should talk to your doctor about these activities and yoga and exercises which can help you mind and body which I bet will help your forgetfulness and help you perform better at work and at home.
are you doing any regular exercising now?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
so you really don't think this sounds like dementia?
I did do yoga for quite sometime when I was in the height of my anxiety - I have not done it for a long time though but yes I know how benefitial it is - I have been feeling that I need some calmness badly
I don't really do any exercise now , apart from the odd walk here and there
can you tell me is it correct that someone with dementia would not be able to list examples of forgetfulness as I have done?
incase this is my last question thankyou for your help
someone with worsening dementia would not be aware of their forgetfulness like you have done.
you should go back to doing yoga and exercising and work on meditation to help steady and calm your mind
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will leave a positive rating for sure.so in your opinion you would not be concerned about dementia?
another example is: a call being parked on our phone system at work the other day for me, and instead of saying what number is ***** on I said what button is it on, I got a bit flustered and confused......
I like "what button is it on" better :)
I am not worried about dementia for you
go see your doctor to get examined. I bet your doctor will not be worried about dementia either.
again, sorry about your mother's condition.
get back into yoga and exercise
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
glad you prefer the what button is it on lol!
I find myself being conscious of this whole thing now and trying to think more for each work call - is that normal? being on edge and anxious about it and even what I say to colleagues incase it is weird or strange you know
it sounds like your anxiety is making you overthink everything
and this can cause you to goof up and forget things.
you need to relax and not overthink things
these are not signs of dementia
they are signs of excessive anxiety symptoms.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thankyou. it is very frustrating with forgetting things and when you notice it more you know
you are welcome
I can understand
I hope you can handle the stress at work and at home better in the future.
I am not worried about early dementia for you
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
how does this work if I rate you and log out now can I still come back later?
yes, you can always come back and ask follow up questions on this same topic
if you have a new topic, then you would need to start a new question here
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello again. Please can i ask - last night i went out for some drinks and let my hair down a bit. Usually i remember everything from the night before even when ive had a lot to drink. However this morning it took me while to remember particularly leaving the bar and going to the club. Does this mean anything?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
....and just generally more disorentated than i normally am after a night out you know
these periods of disorientation is not from dementia
it is from your anxiety disorder.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thankyou.
Would this example be also?
Saying something at work and then someone saying back to me about something I commented on or said and me going 'did i'?, like I didn't remember what I said.........
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
yes, that would be an example of anxiety making you be a bit more forgetful.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thankyou.Also earlier sitting at my desk just thinking away and then for some reason I was saying '2' to myself but I couldn't recall the thought as to why when I tried to analyse it
the brain can be very jumpy like this
things like meditation and yoga and mental visualization can help train your brain to be more disciplined and still and calm.
are you willing to try yoga and meditation to train your brain?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used to do yoga as you know but a colleague and I are talking about going again.
I was just trying to think of that saying 'keep your nose clean' as a colleague said it but I keep thinking that there is a phrase before that but I can't remember..... now I'm freaking that I can't remember a saying that I know well.....
anxiety?
yes, this is due to your anxiety .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.
Mum had a fall this morning at her care home. Whilst getting checked out at the hospital today one of nurses asked me to help get the mrsa swab for her from mums grion as mum was getting destressed. My point is that it took me a minute to remember/place where the groin was - i knew the area but was confused for a bit as to exactly where...... Anxiety?
yes, this is due to anxiety.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also was just telling my nan who i saw in the village when shopping and i couldn't think of the ladies name for a while....
Anxiety?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also i was just searching music on my phone and the songs were getting mashed up in my head......
that is not a sign of dementia
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou.
Sorry about all the questions.
Was talking to nan as im with her today and she was telling her old stories again and i keep questioning if im following correctly......
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And also down to even my door key seeming harder to unlock - this is all anxiety isnt it?.......
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.
the other expert has opted out
The thread is already rated.
If you have further medical questions, Find me, Dr. Thomas, in medical.
I am a double board certified clinical doctor.
This means I have taken care of patients hands on for over 20 years.