DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

It has been suggested that I may have a parthyroid problem

Customer Question

It has been suggested that I may have a parthyroid problem because the level of calcium
in my blood is higher than normal. What are the symptoms please.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
nearly all patients with parathyroid problems have symptoms
sometimes the symptoms are really obvious, like kidney stones, frequent headaches, fatigue, and depression
sometimes the symptoms are not so obvious, like high blood pressure and the inability to concentrate
the best way to know if you have high parathyroid hormone is to see your doctor and get blood tests to check your parathyroid hormone levels.
itchy skin can be from thyroid hormone problems or from winter dry skin
pain in joints could be from winter cold air or from your age or arthritis
that is good that physical therapy has helped your joints.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is a different expert.Please let me know what your calcium level is.And please let me know what your ionized calcium level is.Vitamin D level if you have it.Parathormone level if you have it.A full diagnosis actually takes a combination of tests before considering surgery, not just a parathyroid hormone level.Here is a list from the mayo clinic.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperparathyroidism/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20022086 The scan is very important in some cases, as is the urine collection.Let me know if you have more questions or information.In the meantime please click a positive for Dr. Thomas on this answer page at the top: that is how we are credited and paid for our time.Come back as needed.I am a double board certified clinical doctor, I am ranked at the 100th percentile in endocrinology on our ABIM medicine boards. I can help you anytime with these questions and have been a clinician for over 20 years.Find me anytime.