DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 8 months pregnant and I rubbed Voltarol pain-was gel into

I am 8 months pregnant and I rubbed Voltarol pain-was gel into my husband's back as he was in a lot of pain. I have washed my hands after about 10-15minutes, only to them read on the instructions that it shouldn't be used by pregnant women. I haven't used the gel per say but I did have it on my hands for about 10-15 and that was the only time. I have read it could be dangerous for the unborn child, is my baby at risk. Very worried!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It is not likely that this exposure is going to affect your baby.
However, make sure your doctor knows about the exposure.
This would be minimal for you, as it is a topical agent, and would not give you a large dose.
Do not, however, continue to do this.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I should let me doctor know about the exposure? Today or wait for when I have my appointment with her in 2 weeks time?
If it is so dangerous this gel - shouldn't it carry a warning sign or something similar ?Thank you for you answer!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Today.It is not so dangerous.I would not worry.Please click a positive.