Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My question is about chronic cough. I have coughed short

Customer Question

My question is about chronic cough. I have coughed for a short period of time every day for the majority of the last 15 years. I have absolutely no idea of what triggers it, it could be acid reflux, but I have had partial fundoplication and I do take omeprazole every day. It is a rattly cough, sometimes productive - white stuff, but I think it would be productive every time but I'm not good coughing up, could this be caused by weakness in throat or diagphramatic muscles? I have had tests for asthma, but not only are they negative they are actually 105% (better than ever). It is all very annoying - i'm quite fed up with coughing.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, am Dr.Customerand pleased to help you. I understand you are fed up, and acid reflux is not a possible reason under these conditions. I recommend to have your sinuses examined (a chronic postnasal drip can cause your cough). If everything is ok there, you should think about bronchoscopy. There might be a part of a peanut shell accidentially breathed in years ago or a polyp in your bronchial system. Neither muscle weakness nor diaphragmatic issues can cause chronic cough. I wish you all the best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, I will try and get it sorted soon.

You are very welcome. I wish you all the luck you need!