Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was looking on the internet because I am

Hello. I was looking for advice on the internet because I am losing trust in my doctor and I think I will have to do something about it. Came across this window that I can ask question so if you can help that would be awesome. Here it is.
Symptoms for 5 months are diarrhea,constipation,abdominal pain irritated eyes with red tiny veins. Recently I had an upper endoscopy and ultrasound scan done. Blood test all good. Been prescribed lansoprazole and it did help a bit but never solved the problem.
Doctor's diagnosis is Stomach- Gastritis:mild erythematous/exudative with no bleeding
Duodendum- Duodenitis: mild associated with patchy erythema. H.pylori Negative.
Now am prescribed Esomeprazole which I don't believe is going to help and doctor's seems to not hearing the most important information I was telling them which is.. After kissing someone for 5 seconds these problems started the very next day and escalated into fever, diarrhea, excessive thirst 5-7 l water a day, weakness, nausea. 3 weeks later it settled down. I believe it must have been some sort of bacteria that is causing these problems and I d like to hear another opinion on that. Because my gastritis was not developed over time.It was caused by something else and very quick. I appreciate any kind of help about this and also how to talk to my GP (in UK) to move forward. Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no need for phone conversation yet. It was done by mistake. I f you have some question about my issue we can do this via email
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are several issues to consider in this situation. However, the first comment is about your concern about the possibility of a bacterial infection. It is extremely unusual for a bacterial infection to cause symptoms so quickly after exposure. When someone is exposed to another person with an infectious bacteria and the bacteria enters the body, it requires time for the bacteria to grow and cause symptoms. It typically takes at least a couple days for the bacteria to grow to a level that it can cause symptom, and usually longer. The only common exception would be in situations in which the germ is already growing excessively, so that the sheer number of bacteria that enter the body is sufficient to cause symptoms quickly, such as happens in certain types of food poisoning. So, it would be atypical that these symptoms would be due to an infection acquired from the person that you kissed the day before the onset of symptoms. Of course, it does not exclude other infections from other sources, but there is no reason to be concerned about the kissing encounter. This is also probably why your doctor did not appear to place much importance on this encounter. As for other possible causes, it will help if you could provide some further information.Was the ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder?If so, were there any findings on exam that was worrisome for gallbladder disease, such as tenderness in the right upper abdomen?Do you know which blood tests were done?Has any stool tests been done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answer. I 'll be more specific about the symptoms at the beginning. The real symptoms started about 5 days later but very next day I could notice that something isn't right for couple of days.
Yes ultrasound for liver and gallbladder was done and nothing to be worried about.No pain in right side. Pain is in the center only. I don't know what blood test was done but am sure it was about the liver and thyroid gland.Maybe a sugar level Stool test was done for H. pylori only.
Thank you for the additional information. Even if the symptoms did not reach a peak until 5 days later, the onset of symptoms the next day would speak against it being related to the kissing encounter. Gastritis and duodenitis certainly are common causes of upper, central abdominal pain, but when it is mild, it will typically respond quickly to lansoprazole or emomeprazole. It also is not typical for mild gastritis or duodenitis to cayuse the lower GI symptoms of diarrhea and constipation. It certainly was appropriate to treat this after the findings on endoscopy, but with persistent symptoms, it is appropriate to consider other possible conditions. There are several conditions to consider in this situation. Regarding the gallbladder, the ultrasound is the usual test that is used for detection of gallbladder disease, as the vast majority of people with gallbladder disease have gallstones. However, there are some people that can have a chronic infection and inflammation of the gallbladder without gallstones, called acalculous cholecystitis. This will more often cause right upper abdominal pain, but can cause central abdominal pain. It also will frequently secondarily affect the gut because the bile empties into the small intestine, most often causing diarrhea. An ultrasound is not good at detecting acalculous cholecystitis, but the better test is a nuclear radiology test, called a hepatobiliary scan. It is also possible for these symptoms to be due to chronic inflammation of the pancreas. There are blood tests that are the most sensitive at detecting inflammation of the pancreas. These tests are not in the standard chemistry profiles, so would need to be separately ordered. Your doctor may have done these tests, but if you can get a copy of the lab reports, you can look to see if these tests were included. The tests are for amylase and lipase. There also are some chronic infections of the intestines that can occur. Some of these are unique germs, so can be detected on stool cultures, but some are overgrowth of normal germs in the gut, particularly into some areas of the gut in which these germs usually do not grow. It is frequently difficult to identify such overgrowth, and it may be easier to consider a trial of antibiotics oriented towards control of this problem, such as rifaximin. It is also possible that there may have been an original infection that has cleared but left a functional disorder of the intestines. Functional disorders refers to conditions in which the muscle activity of the intestine can be increased, decreased, or both, and is frequently called irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. Most cases of IBS have no identifiable cause, but when a cause can be identified, onset after an infection of the gut is the most common reason. Thereis no test that can confirm the presence of IBS, so it is usually diagnosed based on typical symptoms for which no other cause can be identified. Post-infectious IBS will typically resolve spontaneously, but it will frequently takes months and sometimes a year or two for symptoms to resolve. During this time, the usual treatment is direct treatment of the symptoms. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If I can help you with future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this detailed answer. I'll look into all these possible causes and talk to my doctor about it. Maybe that kissing was just a coincidence in time that makes me believe it has something to do with it. Many times I thought it was the gallbladder problem. Let's keep our conversation open for some time maybe I come up with some more updates. In fact I can find out about the full blood test on Monday so I can send a report to you. Thanks a lot for now.
That is fine, but there is no need for specific action to keep a question open. Even after rating the question, the closing of the question is not a permanent status, and if you think of a follow-up question, the thread can be re-opened by responding to the expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks again