Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Dr Ravoof .It's Claire here again . I'm just wondering

Hi Dr Ravoof .It's Claire here again . I'm just wondering if my question reached you as I had to close it due to no reply . Please let me know if you didn't want to answer so I know not to wait .Many thanksClaire
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please ask if you have a new question. I would love to answer any new question. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I was discussing things over with my GP and she agreed as we had already discussed that there is no known cancer risk linked with swallowing a foreign body and that the type of chronic inflammation and fibrosis that foreign bodies may cause if retained in this way has not been shown as a risk for cancer . But I know you had said that certain chronic inflammation does cause cancer and that this is a developing feild . I was just concerned that is it possible with future research that they may say this inflammation caused by a swallowed foreign body can cause cancer or is it the same thoughts as with my concern before that knowledge is unlikely to change due to the facts that are established . Hope it's ok to ask since having this further review with my GP . Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have nothing to add to my previous discussions with you regarding this. If you have any new question please do ask. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that was my question really as I read back over our discussion and I know you had said that there is no clinical evidence of cancer related to a retained foreign body that is swallowed and that future research is unlikely to change due to established facts . But my new question was that is this still the case even though you said that inflammation is s developing feild of knowledge and all the facts aren't known . That's all I wanted to ask if possible .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to just answer me this question doctor . If not please let me know so I am not waiting .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes in future also this will be the case. There is no practical risk of cancer in your case. Please stop worrying. This issue should now have been out of your mind. But since this is bothering you so much I would suggest consulting your doctor and getting treatment for your increased stress. Take care. Please rate the answer with a five star rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am seeing my GP as I do have some anxiety post natally . It's just stayed with me really this concern as I know you say there's no risk in practical terms but I know as we discussed before that's down to there being symptoms and after my GP telling me that some chronic inflammation can be mild and underlying that's what really worries me that she could have this and it may not show then her cells could change . But anyway I don't want to repeat all that we discussed and I'm sorry to contact again about this its just I wanted to make sure that this type of inflammation that this scenario may cause is not associated with a cancer risk .
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is dr. ThomasI am a double board certified doctor.I have over 20 years of clinical experience.You need to see a therapist. A PhD clinical psychologist who does cognitive behavioral therapy would be very good.Simply asking your doctor if you have a risk for cancer, and asking us, and getting a now answer, does not provide you with the tools to deal with your anxiety.In fact, it can re inforce the anxiety in the long one...if you do not change the emotional and mental patterns involved...hence, you just keep coming back to get the same answer.The point is that you develop the ability to give yourself the correct answer emotionally in this instance, and that you learn to process your fears appropriately. Please click a positive rating on this answer, and I can go into this further.Find me in medical anytime by request for an y question.For Dr. Thomas only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DrThomas .Thanks for your response but can I ask why my question went over to yourself and not Dr ravoof ?
I've come back to just answer again as I had spoken to Dr ravoof and another doctor on here who gave conflicting advice . That's why I have come back to Dr ravoof to clarify as I am still confused on the answers I was given . Is Dr ravoof not willing to speak with me or advise me further ?
Claire.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please rate my answer so that we can continue with our discussion. Thanks.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rated Dr ravoof
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have received your rating. Thanks. What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was my response to you Dr ravoof I don't know if you received it ..
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There is no practical risk of cancer in humans in your situation. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry doctor Ravoof I just realised my response didn't send . This is what I wanted to check with you ...
24/01/2016 12:55
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you are right, in this scenario there is no need to worry of any cancer risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just still panic about the theoretic risk that you told me about if this tag became stuck and caused the inflammation .
Also with the field of knowledge on information about inflammation developing and not all the facts being known could it be found out that this type of inflammation could cause cancer in the future ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, We should not worry about the theoretical risk since even with this risk there has not even been a single case of cancer developing in humans due to this cause. And since such type of incident like yours has occurred in numerous cases throughout history without any complications, this is not going to change in future also. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor . I'm sorry for my continued questions it's just I keep thinking what if this tag is stuck somewhere in her and can change her cells at any moment during her life . Do you think that's the case with inflammation also that this type that the tag could cause won't cause cancer ? It's just I remember you saying it's possible for any inflammation to change the cells in the body .
Many thanks again for your time .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There are many possibilities that can occur in the human body, however in real life such things do not occur thankfully. Hence in your case also there is no practical risk of cancer. Therefore you have no reason to worry or getting continued doubts regarding this. Please do some relaxation exercises and also read the below linked book to get to know how anxiety and stress can effect us and also what we can do about it. http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1626252157 Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . I have started I will look at this book as I really don't want to feel like this or for it to affect my baby . I've started some cbt so I really hope this will help me . May I ask do you say that there's no practical risk for cancer due to this type of inflammation caused by a foreign body not being linked or able to cause cancer even if it is mild and underlying ?
Many thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There is no risk because there has not been even a single case of cancer development despite thousands of such cases of ingested foreign bodies. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that even when they are retained in the body without symptoms do you think. It's just I worry about the knowledge of inflammation growing and not all the facts are known so could it change through research that they say in this scenario with underlying inflammation cancer could occur .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes even in this case there is no practical risk of cancer and there is no such case in our human history and this is unlikely to change in future also. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you say hopefully if there's never been a case there won't be one in the future as children have been children since forever swallowing things haven't they . May I ask how in what way there is no practical risk ?
Also I'm forgetting that hopefully it's very likely that this tag will of passed through . Is it only certain objects that get stuck in the rare cases that you know of ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes precisely because there has never been a case despite such things occurring daily. Yes in majority of cases the tag will pass through and only rarely some sharp metallic objects may get stuck. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . So I shouldn't worry then that even in future there maybe new evidence that might say this type of inflammation that's left in this Scenario could be a cancer risk . When you said it was before was that theoretic because some types of chronic inflammation do cause cancer ? And may I ask will it of been looked into if this scenario can cause cancer or do they just go on the fact that it's never happened before ?
Many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This has been looked into since a theoretical risk is present and it was found that there was no practical risk. Hence no need to worry about this causing cancer in humans. Also the fact that this has never happened is an additional evidence that carcinogenesis in this scenario is not possible. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you that's very re assuring to know . Is the theoretic risk because we know certain inflammation can cause cancer ? And may I ask with the knowledge of inflammation developing is it likely that facts may change and this scenario could cause cancer in the future I just remember you saying all that facts aren't known in regards ***** ***** and the risk of cancer cannot be ruled out .
Many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, The theoretical risk is due to many factors including inflammation causing cancer and also because foreign bodies have caused cancer in experimental animals. But in your case the facts are not going to change since this type of event happens thousands of time throughout the world daily without causing cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou so do you think it's ok to think that even in the worst case scenario of this tag being retained indefinatly without symptoms there's no such evidence of a cancer risk . And this will not change in the future even with the knowledge of inflammation changing and growing .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you would be accurate to think that. And this will not change in the future. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much for your time and patience with me. I've just been feeling so afraid that if this tag has stayed in her body and been walled off or something it could change her cells over the years . I hate to think of it somewhere in her body , But do you think it's safe to say it's been proven that this can't happen in this case .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that last bit didn't make sense . I mean to say is the risk of cancer in my scenario non existent as it's been proven that a swallowed foreign body which is retained does not cause cancer .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There have been no studies done regarding this, however since there have been no case reports with similar scenario this is the conclusion which is to be drawn. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor . I just keep thinking if it has not been studied how can we feel certain in the future that there won't be a case of cancer in this scenario ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Post your question for a psychiatry or mental health expert and this expert will be able to help you overcome these repeated distressing thoughts. However my conclusion is that based on the present evidence in your scenario there is no practical risk of cancer and this is not going to change in the future. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much doctor I'm sorry for my repeated questions .i will continue with my cbt to try to overcome this as best I can . May I just ask one last thing you know when you told me that the risk was looked into because of the theoretical side to things and then it was found that there was no practical risk can I ask in what way it's not able to happen in humans .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, That needs to be investigated. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do you mean you would have to investigate it to find out for me or it would have to be investigated In general ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This has to investigated by doctors. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but did you say that they already found that there was no practical risk ? Sorry I'm just trying to understand how they found this if its not been investigated see .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, That is based on the fact that there is no single case of cancer that was proven to be due to retained foreign body in the gastrointestinal tract. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and I think you said there isn't even any case reports that even contemplate this either is there or even suggest that this type of scenario maybe a cause .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes, not a single case report. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou doctor. I'm feeling more confident about it now at knowing there is no present risk . I'm sorry if I have kept on I realise I have been speaking with you for the past few days now and I do thank you for your time . Can I just check with you doctor I keep thinking about her future and just hope I haven't raised her risk of cancer if this tag is retained . Can I just ask is it thought to be certain that information won't change to say this could be a cancer risk in the future or just unlikely to change ? I just keep thinking should I push for x Ray or something to check this tag isn't there if there is a possibility that in the future it could become a cancer risk for her
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You have not increased her risk and there is no indication for any x ray now. Just relax. If you are not benefiting much from CBT you may again consult your doctor who may prescribe medications which will relieve your anxiety. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have an appointment next week but because I am breast feeding the option of medication for anxiety is difficult to weigh up . It's just really future research that niggles me now incase research may change .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Well I have given you my opinion regarding this and even repeated my answer many times. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm sorry I know sometimes you said it's unlikely to change and then other times I read that you'd said this won't change . I just wasn't sure how confident to feel about this .