Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

After two operations of lower bowel, I am left

After two operations for prolapse of lower bowel, I am left with a sort of IBS. I also have diverticular. I have leakage and incontinence. I am trying to find out if a diet would help as I have two or three days of little happening, then a whole day of continually going to the loo with loose (not diorrhia) and is preventing me with travelling or making plans. I have a good healthy diet now, with enough roughage and just do not know where to turn to. My GP has failed to help. Please advise. I am an otherwise healthy 83 yr old female.
Helen
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question Helen.I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help.I'm very sorry you are having this troubleThere is a diet called the FODMAP diet that is EXCELLENT for IBS symptoms.I will provide a linkhttps://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdfI would also consider taking citrucel. This is a stool bulking agent that helps with leakage and incontinence.Finally, a probiotic like culturelle might help.Make sure the GP has worked up other issues like celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease as well.A visit to a GI specialist might be in order
Please don't forget a positive rating.
I appreciate it
if you have more questions, just reply :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice regarding my problem. I am planning to keep to a strict diet and hope that gives me some help to enjoy my life.