Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm a 62 yr old lady. I'm normally quite healthy. I

Hello. I'm a 62 yr old lady. I'm normally quite healthy. I had middle ear decease when I was 28 yrs old and 2 ops. Had mastoid removed at the time and lost just a bit of my hearing in that left ear. During sept, oct, and November last year I had awful ear ache continually. I was given 5 lots of antibiotics which cleared up 3 outer ear infections. But I still had awful inner ear pain. Went totally deaf fairly quickly and the hearing tests showed this plus says BOTH ears had retracted membranes. Had blood tests done for FBC. CRP. ANCA. ACE. which were all ok. At my wits end now. I was on morphine for 6 weeks then codeine when I asked to come off morphine. I have come off codeine over the last week. My decision because I've had enough. Would love to know what was wrong as I'm still deaf in left ear and still have severe tinnitus. The CT scan was fine too. Thank you for any comments. Rita
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 12 months ago.
Hello Rita.I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help.I'm very sorry about this issue.This is likely a viral attack on the ear.Did anyone try a burst of prednisone?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No that wasn't suggested. Would Prednisone have helped ?
Yes, absolutely.I would have immediately given you a burst of prednisone to reduce inflammation
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good morning Dr Phil. I thought a bit more about your reply in saying maybe you would have offered me Prednisone. I should have probably mentioned to you that I've got Diverticullitus. Had this about 3 years now but totally under control and no op's because of it. Would this still have been an option for my doctor to offer me Prednisone in those vital 3 months of awful pain ? Or does the fact that I just had 5 doses of antibac's seem normal ? Also it's been a long waiting game before I see consultant for my follow up. Saw him 9th Dec. He had a chat and arranged hearing tests and blood tests and CT scan and checked my throat. My throat was perfectly fine. My hearing tests showed the severe loss of hearing on left ear and as ive said already the blood tests and CT scan were fine. Due to see him 10 th February for follow up app't. Please can you tell me: Do you think I could have been offered the PREDNISONE ? And what do you think the consultant may do next ? Will I be permanently deaf in left ear ? Could this awful viral attack possibly come back if it's lying dormant ? Thank you Rita
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PS Do I still get chance to reply back to you when I've heard your replies, for no extra money please ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to mention that the prescribed medication I was on at the time my ear pain started in Sept 2015 were : Fybogel sachets two a day for my diverticulitis. Plus paracetamol and codeine and a bit of voltarol emugel for a foot tendon problem called posterior dysfunction which had almost healed then. I do feel that maybe I could have been given something to stop the viral attack. I was not on any other medication. Thank you. Rita
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.
It would have been an option if you had diverticulitis but prednisone doesn't treat diverticulitisis that what you mean?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I wondered if I couldn't be given Prednisone because it may effect my bowels ? Would you have given it ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could the doctor have given me prednisone when the ear pain started do you think ? Would it have damaged my bowels ?
it wouldn't hurt the bowel
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I'm disappointed in my doctor now. What do you think the consultant will do when I see him and will this viral stay dorment and poss reappear do you think? thank you.
I can't possibly predict what the consultant will do.But I'm happy to follow up on this after
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also will I stay deaf in that ear ? And how come it doesn't show up on blood tests I had done. FBC CRP ANCA ACE. Could the viral stay dorment and reappear ?
1)I hope not but I don't know2)it typically doesn't3)the virus is likely gone now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much for helping me. You have been honest and trustworthy. Thank you. Rita
Welcome Rita. contact me after you get the specialist visit
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good morning Dr Phil. I wish my doctor would have been honest with me about my blood test results and CT scan. I've obtained copies of them yesterday. On two occasions he told me they were fine. The CT on temporal bones is ok but mentions possibility of Recurrent Cholesteatoma. Although not visible on scan it is mentioned in the final report with a question mark. Also the consultant noticed on my first visit, that BOTH my ear drum membranes were retracted. I believe that could be an indication of Cholesteatoma ? Also says mucosal thickening in the maxillary sinuses. More on the right side. My ANCA blood test is fine. My ACE blood test is 28 and I think the normal is 40. my CRP blood test is 20 and I think the normal is below 5. There is a note with the ANCA test saying There is a high incidence of false negative results for Sarcoidosis. So I think it's maybe Recurrent Cholesteatoma and Sarcoidosis. Could I please have your opinion on my results. I would be very grateful as I still don't feel too good. Thank you. Rita.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Forgot to mention my quick weight loss. It may not be an indicator to anything but lost a stone and a half since last Sept when the ear pain started. My appetite has gone. Rita.