Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Good morning. I'm a 71 year old woman. Last Tuesday I fell

Good morning. I'm a 71 year old woman. Last Tuesday I fell asllep on a chair where my head fell backwards. On waking up I think I may haved jerked my head forwards and everything was spinning around me. For a few seconds. Since then I have been getting the same spinning dizziness on waking up in bed. Can you advise me please as to what is happening and what I can do.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
I think that you are most likely having vertigo.
The most common cause of vertigo is due to a slight problem in the inner ear called as benign positional vertigo.
Other causes like stroke or heart problem can also cause dizziness but unlikely with the symptoms that you are mentioning.
I would, however, still recommend that you be seen by your GP at the very least to be examined and to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment of such symptoms is with medications like meclizine that are given to reduce the dizziness or by a maneuver called as Epley's maneuver which is not only diagnostic of vertigo but also therapeutic.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will request an appointment tomorrow. Just worried in case I had damaged something in my neck. Regards.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It is unlikely that you have damaged something in the neck.If that were the case you would have had more symptoms like weakness of some part of the body etc.However, like I mentioned I would still like you to be seen just to be sure.Please let me know if you have more questions and rate me as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My GP has prescribed a weeks course of Prochlorazine 5 mg tablets 3 times a day. They seem to have dealt with the spinning problem but I'm still experiencing bouts of slight dizziness. Perhaps side effects of tablets. Do you think this will eventually subside?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am pretty sure it will eventually subside.
I am glad that you did go and your GP basically confirmed my thoughts.
Kindest regards