Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 84, female. years I have been inconvenienced

I am 84, female. For several years I have been inconvenienced by passing copious to me) amounts of mucus from my anus. It can be clear or slightly stained but never bloody. I don't have any specific belly pain except when I have trapped wind.
Is there anything I can do/eat to reduce or stop this problem? It is embarrassing as it pours out with quite audible bubbles.
I would prefer not to be involved in hospital treatment.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you been seen for this particular problem as yet by your doctor?Have you had a colonoscopy done recently or in the past?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything?Please let me know.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned it some years ago & he was interested but that was it. I am very healthy and, apart from arthritic knees I appear younger than my age. I have Hashimoto's disease (familial) for which I take 75mcgms thyroxine daily. I take 60mgms Arcoxia for arthritis.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.I personally think that you should be seen and have a colonoscopy done to make sure that colitis (inflammation of the colon) is ruled out.Most likely, it does not seem to be anything serious or anything to worry about.Excessive mucous secretion can also happen in people who have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which is an extremely common gastrointestinal disorder particularly in people who are anxiety prone.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards