DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I used to look really really pale. Just recently my cheeks

I used to look really really pale. Just recently my cheeks go bright red and feel to touch even though I don't know have a temperature and I don't feel unwell. It seems to get worse in the evening. I also constantly have blisters on my left finger - the one nearest the thumb. They are always in the same place. Although it sounds odd, these 2 things started happening at the same time. I'm not on any new medication. What can this be?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is flushing of the cheeks, and some time of blister on the finger. Please attach a photo if you have one.Flusing is usually genetic. However, your doctor needs to check your for high blood pressure, hormonal problems, hyperthyroidism and pheochromacytoma, liver and kidney problems, and other problems. The blisters sound like mild dyshydrotic eczema, but herpetic lesions should be ruled out. This would not necessarily be related to the flushing. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Appearance of blisters and facial redness both can be connected.Environmental allergies are the most common cause.That is usualy benign and improves over time.Another possibility can be an autoimmune disorder like Sytemic lupus.So, blood tests --ANA titer, anti dsDNA, sed rate should be checked for basic screening for lupus.But most likely this is not serious.You can try an antihistamine like loratadine daily along with a steroid ointment desonide gel.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The darker area on my finger here is where the big blister is, though it's hard to see on the photo. The smaller blister is always at the top of my finger, a little way down and to the right of my finer nail
I do have an under active thyroid, which I take medication for. I also take medication for aneamia and a vitamin d deficiency
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the picture --very helpful.This is not any infection like herpes.Thyroid gland disorder suggests you do have immune system disorder.That can cause these skin responses sometimes.Eczema is layman's term to group these lesions in such category.But nothing serious.Steroid ointment should help with the treatment.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If you would like to go into how to heal the thyroid, find me on a new thread.Use a long request lock, and "For Dr. Thomas only," in the question title.Please don't forget the rating.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Having a thyroid problem does not indicate that you have another autoimmune disease.If you have positive thyroid antibodies, then this means you have an immune reaction to your own thyroid.See my original list on my first answer for problems that need to be ruled out.You do not give any indication of allergies, so I would see what your doctor thinks of this as well.Save time, find me by request in medical to get prompt, correct answers.I am a double board certified doctor by the aBIM, meaning I am tested and trained in this situation.I have over 20 years experience with people in this situation.Please click a positive at the top of this answer page for DR. Thomas, that is how we are paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the following allergies :
Latex (carry an epi-pen)
Nuts (again I have an epi-pen)
Wheat/gluten
Penicillin
Dairy
Eggs
HayfeverI also take the antihistamine cetirizine (10mg) every morning as I often break out in random rashes or itching throughout the day. It was originally prescribed back in the summer for my hayfever but the doctor said keeping me on it would stop the random rashes and itching, however it appears to not be very effective
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Flushing could be part of this situation.In that sense it would be a new symptom of your allergies.However, If you are avoiding these, it is not likely from your allergies.Given that you have allergies, cross reactivity and new allergies are possible.Or , sensitivities.I would do the following.Celiac panel and anti gliadin antibody.Igg food testing, which will give some indication [just as a guideline] of what other foods you might be sensitive to.But I would also rule out the list I first gave you: this is your first expert.Find me by request in medical to save time and get correct, comprehensive answers.Please click a positive, then come back if needed. [we are only paid per positive rating, for bonuses, ]Good luck.dt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the first list you mentioned hormone problems. I'm 27, but did have some sort of blood test recently due to not hav7ng periods for the past 5 years, since my daughter was born. We still don't know what is causing this as the docitr said the blood test was "fijne" and that I was "too young to have hormonal changes happening"!
As for flushing being genetic, no one else in my family has had this. A few of the younger people in my family (children, and neices and nephews) have food allergies or intolerances which was odd as I'm the only one out of my and my siblings, or anyone in the generations before of that we know about, to have all these issues, whereas my children and all my neices and nephews all have these food allergies and intolerences!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned hyperthyroidism.To get a correct hormonal picture, you needTSH and free T4, free T3Sex hormone panel and SHBG. Often the whole panel is not done.Adrenal hormone panel. Please click a positive now and feel free to come back for a follow up question or tow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hyperthyroidism is overactive thyroid, yet we know that I have an underactive thyroid. I have a thyroid test done every 2 months, and it's currentky stable with the meds. Without the meds it drops dramatically as my thyroid gland doesn't appear to work on it's own. This was diagnosed about 3 years ago
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
That is fine then.The rest of my answer stands.However, this is now getting into an extensive area, in which some people respond better to a different type of thyroid medication.This is something to discuss with an endocrinologist, if all of the other testing I have recommended is negative.Please click a positive now. I don't see one, and I am not getting reimbursed for my time, only per each positive rating.If you would like to go into methodologies to heal the thyroid and to stop your allergies, what would need to be a request directly to me in medical. The additional services offer is blocked here and I can not use it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do a rating?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
go to the top of my answer page here and click a 5positive gets me made, on my answerIf any problems go to customer service
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.