Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My grandson age 18years has gone to University. He has Type

Customer Question

My grandson age 18years has gone to University. He has Type 1 Diabetes and his parents concern is that they are not there to make sure he is up and about in the morning. Is there any tracking device that they could use just make sure he is up and about and ok. He is in a room of his own and has friends in the halls but they are not fully aware of the dangers. Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are apps that will allow parents to track a GPS device, including a GPS phone, such as https://www.life360.com/. However, this is designed for parents to monitor their minor children. Since your grandson is now an adult, any monitoring would need to be something to which he desires to participate. GPS monitoring also would not be able to detect that he is awake and in another room of his building.
If he is willing to participate, it would not require any specific app, because he can simply communicate with his parents at pre-defined times, such as when he gets up and takes his morning medicines. This can be by a simple text message or posting onto any social media site.
In addition, the phone can be used to help your grandson to remember to take his medicines. Essentially all mobile phones have a calendar function, and many of my patients find that setting a reminder into the calendar can help to remember to take medicines that should be taken on a set schedule. His parents would not be similarly alerted, but if he agrees to use such a reminder system, then his parents may feel better that he will not forget his medicine.
If I can GPS provide any additional information, please let me know.