Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am so worried at the moment, my postman has just

Customer Question

Hi I am so worried at the moment, my postman has just delivered a letter and I took it from him straight away, there was a staple sticking out of the envelope from the letter inside, I pricked my finger on this staple just after the postman gave it too me, if he had done the very same thing before me am I at risk from HIV?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. You have no reason to be worried regarding this. You are absolutely at no risk of getting infected with HIV from this incident. This is not how one gets HIV infection. There has never been a person who was infected with HIV in such a way. Hence your anxiety is without any cause. Take care. Please rate the answer with an excellent five star rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou what about a pin badge, which was moved by somebody who helps me clean, if she pricked her finger on it then I did, is this a risk of HIV ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please rate my answer so that we can proceed with further discussion. You have not rated my other question thread also, considering this I would suggest adding a bonus after the rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pricked my finger on a staple sticking out of a parcel again this morning, if the postman did the same before me, is this not the same as a needle stick injury and a risk of HIV infection? Why is it different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also cat claws and thorns if they pierce someone's skin and bloodstream how is this different to needlestick ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Injuries
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. These incidents puts you at no risk for HIV. It is not similar to a needle stick injury risk for HIV since the needle stick injury happens immediately after the contact with blood, and the blood will be in the liquid state and will be infectious. However in these cases the blood would have dried and the HIV virus will not survive this. Therefore there is no risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about safety pins on clothing items pinning the labels on in shops, somebody could prick themselves, then immediately after I could prick myself, would the blood still be in liquid form or does there have to be a large amount of blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or blood on Band Aids or tissues?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. No the blood would be clotted in these scenarios. So there is no risk of HIV. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you mean clotted ? What if I cut myself on a knife straight after someone else did, like somebody who helps me clean.?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. This means the blood would have dried and would not flow like a liquid. If your blood or mucous membranes get exposed to fresh blood of a HIV infected individual and this blood should be in liquid form, then there is a small risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So when my builder gave me a piece of paper with a staple pin sticking out and I pricked my finger after he gave it to me, if he had pricked his finger on the same staple a second before me the blood would have clotted in a second, would there still be no risk from HIV ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, It takes more than a second for the blood to clot. Hence there will be a risk in this scenario. However this scenario is very unlikely since the blood will obviously be seen and no one will give another a paper which is having his/her fresh blood. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about blood smeared inside an airing cupboard which I keep my clothes, underwear and towels etc. The blood could have been left by the builders and I did not see it until now, I have been using these clothes and towels and also I had an Gallbladder operation in December so had three fresh large scars on my stomach. If this blood got on my clothes and towels then on to my body and private parts and gallbladder scars is this a risk of HIV ? Or should I just carry on and not worry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or when I caught my eye on a point of a knife which hurt!! If my cleaner had cut herself before me on the knife would there be a risk of HIV there??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or a spiky plant or thorny bushes eg roses in the street where many people walk past and injure themselves there must be exchange of blood etc, is this an HIV risk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cut myself on bushes and roses on my face and legs often I am worried this is a HIV risk
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please accept the offer so that I can answer your additional new questions. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I will have to say goodbye I cannot afford any more money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can give a bonus! Can I get HIV from cutting myself on the point or side of a knife, if someone done the same thing before me.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, No if someone did this a long time back before you. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I pricked myself on a staple just after someone gave me my medication at the pharmacy if they had done the same that not a long time in between us both pricking out fingers the same goes for cutting myself on a knife after the lady that helps me clean my have cut herself before. And my teenage daughter who has friends over they may have used my toothbrush and are these risks of HIV?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Please accept the additional service offer so that I can answer all your new questions. Take care.