Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am having severe spasmodic groin pains every few weeks, that

Customer Question

I am having severe spasmodic groin pains every few weeks, that last 3/4 days every time. For 2/3 days It is agony to get out of bed or walk and in fact I cannot get downstairs during these bouts. Then it takes a few days to get back to a reasonable level. I have suffered from lower back pain from my 40's (now 72) but this is completely different. I have an appointment to see an orthopaedic surgeon in February but am wondering if it could be anything else?
It started about 3 years ago but only happened once or twice a year - now every few weeks.
The pain sometimes is in both groins and upper thighs. Sometimes it starts one side and moves to the other. At it's very worst I can't lift my legs at all and can only shuffle along with help
Nothing in particular brings it on, except on one occasion it happened after doing very gentle exercises for my lower back problem. I am extremely careful about lifting and didn't even hang my Christmas cards up this year!
I am uncertain what my next move should be. the last time I visited a GP - he suggested painkillers and rest ( which is the only thing I could do anyway).
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the quey,This is most likely nerve related pain because of your lumber disc disease, It can involve this area and can cause these symptoms. I would suggest you must visit a pain physician as he can offer you epidural steroid shot that can help relieve inflammation and pain for long term and even a local nerve block can be given. All other conservative treatments and medicines you are already taken so this is best approach to see a pain physician.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars at your end.Best.