Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Crackling in throat/chest

Crackling in throat/chest
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you clarify what you mean by crackling?Does this happen consistently or only occasionally?Does coughing make the crackling better or worse?How long has this been bothering you?Are you having any shortness of breath or other associated symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crackling or bubbling I guess. It's pretty constant now. Coughing doesn't seem to change it. About 5 days, no noticeable shortness of breath. Have had a LG fever for a few days and felt pretty shivery and cold. Can't get a GP appointment but a bit concerned as I've had IE before. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and it's on exhale
Thank you for the additional information. When there is cracking on exhalation for 5 days with no shortness of breath, the most common cause would be a bronchitis. If you do not smoke, the primary cause of bronchitis would be a viral infection. People that have smoked for many years can also acquire bacterial infections. Either type of infection can cause a low grade fever and shivering. There are other conditions that can cause crackles, although the more serious conditions would usually cause other symptoms, such as shortness of breath. Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, it would be reasonable to take medicines to ease symptoms and see if the symptoms improve over the next few days, as would be expected with a viral bronchitis. It would be reasonable to take a medicine to thin the mucus in the airways, such as guaifenesin. This is available in many different over the counter products, such as Robitussin and Mucinex. It is also available in combination with a cough suppressant, dextromethorphan, if needed. It also helps to thin the mucus to be drinking plenty of fluids. If the symptoms resolve over the next few days, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary. If the symptoms persist, or if you develop any shortness of breath, then it would be appropriate to be seen, and if unable to see your regular doctor, it would be appropriate to be seen at an Urgent Care Center. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.