Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My wife has been prescribed low dose aspirin as a long term

My wife has been prescribed low dose aspirin as a long term blood thinner. She has a sensitive stomach (she has a gluten intolerance for example) and has already had a reaction. We have read that garlic can do the same thing. Is that correct and if so what sort of dosage would create an equivalent benefit. If not is there another natural alternative.
Thank you *****
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
garlic does not thin the blood as well as aspirin can
she should try taking the low dose aspirin with food in her stomach and never on an empty stomach.
also she should take a buffered coated baby aspirin like Bayer.
also, she can use stomach acid reducers like zantac or prilosec to decrease stomach acid to calm her stomach.
natural Manuka Honey can also calm down stomach inflammation if used before meals over time, (1 tsp before meals)
gluten sensitivity tends to be in the small bowels and colon and tends to cause diarrhea or loose stools
she might need stronger stomach acid blockers like Nexium or Protonix if she has bad stomach acid symptoms.
has she tried to take the low dose aspirin with food in her stomach already or with a stomach acid reducer?
what reaction has she had to taking the aspirin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response it is helpful.Another relevant piece of information is that she already takes anastrozole after breakfast when she has been taking the aspirin. The aspirin she has been taken is the standard dispersible 75mg.
Her GP has just recommended Omeprazole as a counter to stomach problems.So perhaps taking at a different time of day - after lunch would also help?She should also try as you suggest the Bayer version of the aspirinThanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
after lunch could be easier on her stomach.
try the bayer enteric coated aspirin
hopefully the omeprazole can help decrease stomach acid.
avoid alcohol and spicy foods which can worsen stomach acid.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com