DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've started taking citalopram. This is my 6st day

Customer Question

I've started taking citalopram. This is my 6st day and I do not feel myself. My next appointment with my GP is on 19th of March. Can I stop taking the tablet now?
I have been diagnosed with low iron and I take Ferrous Fumarate. I read that iron can make you feel very low and I might be depressed because of that.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiWe do not replace your doctor.You need to call your doctor now.When one starts these meds, one must report to the doctor.You should not take iron unless you show low on a lab, or there is a reason. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is if I stop citalopram now, after 6 days would it be harmful? I do take iron as I was very low, I've been tested.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Not harmful except that it disrupts your doctors therapy, and it can take 4 weeks to adjust to this treatment.
Please click a positive.
Find me as needed.