Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently found out I was pregnant but a week before I

Customer Question

Hi I recently found out I was pregnant but a week before I had a ctscan done on my kidneys becaus I was passing a kidney stone. They did two takes and I was out of the radiation room. I didn't know I was pregnant so they used small lead aprons to cover certain organs. Would this cause any damage to my baby? I should have been about two weeks at most from what I know now.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is a good question.The dose of radiation administered is low given only two takes and also using protective coverings.The exposure should not be significant to your fetus.That should not cause any DNA damage.So pregnancy should be safe.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I was on dilaudid because I was passing out from the pain so I remember that they placed a apron on my chest and something on my pelvis but was not sure. If worse comes to worse and nothing was placed on my uterus would we still be ok? I feel horrible after what I've been reading.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should still be ok since the dose of radiation is still considered low.Dilaudid will not cause any problem at this stage of pregnancy.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! You've made my day so happy. I was really scared because I had a miscarriage two years ago and was finding it hard to conceive. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
You should be fine.Best wishes,