Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I crushed the top of my thumb this morning my nail bruised

Customer Question

Hi I crushed the top of my thumb this morning my nail bruised instantly and swear I heard a crunch. It looks a bit bigger than my other thumb and feels heavy and stiff. It's been 2 hrs and it's still really throbbing and painful. What should i do?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI amCustomerand I would be assisting you with your concern today.You need to apply ice to your thumb to decrease the swelling and pain.Keep the hand elevated as keeping the hand in dependent position would increase the pain and swelling.You may have fractured the bone under the nail and that may need to be splinted.If the area of bruising under the nail is extensive the blood under the nail may also need to be removed as blood collecting in the tight space under the nail can cause a lot of pain.You need to see a doctor have this seen and x rayed.This is the initial answer.Reply for any clarification.