Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There One week ago,my husband and I and my two other children

Customer Question

Hi There
One week ago,my husband and I and my two other children took our lovely middle daughter JoJo, 27 tears old. into rehab ( Sanctuary in Essex) with her agreement after a very drunken binge, and a great deal of depression.
Primarily to be treated (as we thought) with alcoholism and occasional drug taking.Jo Jo has been 'not right' for a long time, and although we have believed that she may be suffering from depression it has been difficult to pinpoint, and at the end of the day, despite our ongoing encouragement she has refused to seek medication.
I have read a lot and believe that Highs and lows, her anger, her disorganisation/ lack od f any motivation and chronic lack of self esteem/ lack of social bounderies/ inability to sleep and eratic sleeping and eating habits, and an inability to run her own life safely
could all indicate a form of Bipolar disorder.
I would like to know WHO exactly we can turn to to find out. I believe that JoJo is at breaking point now, she feels that REHAB is not the place for her, and that her binging has been bought on by her depression. We are worried that she may be in the wrong place, and would like to know who to go to ?
We are happy to pay privately and for JoJo to have whatever tests and treatments are deemed to be appropriate, but want to ensure that we are seeking advice from top professionals who are knowledgeable in this field.
Please can you give advice ?
There is a history of depression in the family.
Many thanks for an answer. We are at our wits end as a family.
With Thanks
MARY LEYLAND ***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
thanks for this questionany other medical issues
Has she seen her GP about it?
That would be the next step