Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been suffering from a very bad cough over the past week.

I have been suffering from a very bad cough over the past week. Over the course of the last few hours I have started having migraine type aura every time I have a bad coughing fit - that aura have lasted for a few minutes at a time. Is this something to be concerned about?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
your persistent cough is what is more worrisome.
you need to get that under control so you don't keep coughing.
you could have bronchiectasis swelling of your airway from a recent infection causing swelling of the airway and coughing fits.
you might benefit from a course of steroid therapy which can calm down swelling of your airway and help calm down cough.
the headaches and auras are from repeated coughing fits.
once you calm down the coughs, the headaches will get better.
you need to see your GP doctor to get your lungs checked and see if you need a course of steroids.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to GP and I do have some sort of respiratory tract infection - i was prescribed antibiotics and it was suggested that I may, possibly, have whooping cough. If whooping cough will steroids still help?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it is not whooping cough which is caused by a viral infection and needs to get better on its own
it is more likely to be bronchiectasis swelling of your airways from your recent respiratory tract infection
antibiotics will kill the infection but there can still be mucus and inflammation left in the airways.
this can cause cough and more swelling.
so you need a course of steroids to see if this calms down your cough
medications like mucinex or guaifenesin can also thin mucus in your lungs to help you clear mucus easier out of your lungs
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com