Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My wife is having on going panic attacks, one after the other,

Customer Question

My wife is having on going panic attacks, one after the other, that are giving her severe pains back front and says she is unable to breath and is either dying or she needs an ambulance. She is on 150 mg sunveniz XL venlafaxine in the morning and 45 mg mirtazapine in the evening and 3 propranol throughout the day. When she gets the attack (up to 6 - 7 hours sometimes) and according to her she is in constant pain whether having an attack or not. She has had all the blood tests and has no physical illnesses. We have seen the doctor and the NHS psychiatrist, but it is taking weeks to get a further appointment with the IDT team and no one seems to return phone calls or can offer advise or help. All I need to know is if there is anything she can do to relieve the panic attack pain or make her understand while she is having it that it is not life threatening and is panic. She has 2 mg diazapam but is not taking it at the psychiatrists suggestion because she has an addictive personality. Should she take them ? And if so what are the side effects if she stops, after all if they were not prescribed she would have to stop taking them.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,One suggestion is that if she is suffering from frequent uncontrolled panic attacks and as you told for prolong period you can take her to urgent care where she can get anxiolytic and referral to psychiatrist on urgent basis as she needs some dose adjustment as well as phsycotherapy. You can give her diazepam sometimes when in severe need but do not give her regularly because of addictive properties.Encourage her to do some relaxation exercises, well balanced diet and join self help and support group so that she learns to cope with stresses in life. Limit caffeine and alcohol and take well balanced diet. Tell her to Jog, walk, bike, or dance three to five times a week for 30 minutes.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive raing.Best.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything that can be done while she is having the panic attack to ease the pain then she will realise that it is panic and not something else
One such therapy is ice cube therapy. This technique can help you divert person's attention away from a panic attack, especially if she is in the throes of a particularly intense attack. Take out an ice cube and give it to her hand for as long as she can (you can put the cube in a paper towel). Then, place the ice cube on her other hand. This focuses her mind on the discomfort, de-escalating her symptoms. This can help.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes for her.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.
Wish you good health.