Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

There i am experiencing pain on my left side around the

Customer Question

Hi there i am experiencing pain on my left side around the rib cage when i breathe, cough more so than other times.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,There can be several reasons for such type of pain including musculoskeletal, inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs and inflammation of the pleura and lung itself. I would suggest you should take tylenol and apply ibuprofen gel over the area and take if the pain is mild and take cough syrup for cough relief . But if it is severe, visit your physician to have thorough physical examination and exact diagnosis so that treatment can be given accordingly. However if the pain increases on walking , exertion or there is difficulty in breathing and it is radiating to left arm or jaw you should go to ER to rule out any cardiac condition.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also forgot to mention i have osteoporis.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Then most likely it is musculosketal. Take tylenol, apply ibuprofen gel and apply warm compresses. Take cough syrup.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been taking all of the above and using heat pads but this has not made any difference - the painkillers just ease it but its still there when they wear off?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Then you must visit your doctor to have thorough examInation and you might need an x-ray chest for exact diagnosis. Treatment can be given accordingly, you might need antibiotics for this.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.
Wish you good health