Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had an open sutured umbilical hernia repair 12 days

I had an open sutured umbilical hernia repair 12 days ago and am experiencing some soreness still. But I do get crippling trapped wind in my abdomen. I am only taking Ibruprofen 400mg twice a day. The incidents occur about half an hour to an hour after eating. Is this normal or could there be complications from the surgery?
David
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
H and thanks for the query,It is on of the side effect of surgery and prolonged bed ridden state as intestines slow down after surgery.. I would suggest you should walk at least 30 minutes after taking meals and try to ne up and take small frequent meals instead of large meals. If it persist for more than 3 to 4 hours and if you have abdominal distention then it can be complication of surgery and you should visit your doctor for evaluation.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health