Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I need to consult with Infectious disease specialist

Customer Question

Hello. I need to consult with Infectious disease specialist (regarding TB test/Quantiferon criteria)?
Vojislava
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After both tests came as positive I was prescribed antibiotics for 6months (isoniazid300mg) . I was told I don't have a disease but was exposed and do have a latent bacteria somewhere hidden in my body that needs to be treated as a precaution. My question is : since I was BCG vaccinated , is it possible that Quantiferon test is positive because of that? To me it kinda make sense. However I don't really understand the Quantiferon criteria and that's why I am here asking for your opinion
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionDo you have any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I was a proffesional tennis player all my life , I am in a good shape and exposed to lots of physical effort
No, this is not possibleThe quantiferon is not made positive by BCGThe normal TB skin test is thoughThat is one major benefit to quantiferon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
I would like to know whether it is absolutely crucial to go on this pill for 6 months considering the fact that my Quantiferon blood test is considerate as "low positive ". I guess my question is how relevant and important is it to do this treatment and what is really the procentige of risk factors of me actually getting the disease ? My Ag minus Nil Value is 1.18 and from 0.35 to 2. is considered at the low end of the positive range.
Yes, you do need toIt is absolutely critical
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)
If you have more questions, just reply