Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have had a bad chest infection last 2 weeks and it

I have had a bad chest infection for the last 2 weeks and it won't shift off my chest. I can't get in to see my doctor, but no have been taking lemsips, sudafed and my inhaler for my asthma. It has eased a little but still won't go for good. I was given some antibiotics a while ago (which say on the label to use before 1 September 2016). They were for another type of infection that cleared up and so I didn't need to start them, they were prescribed for me, no one else. Could I take them now to kick this out of me?
They are 'Co-amoxiclav' 500 mg / 125 mg Film coated tablets.
Are they a broad spectrum anti biotic and will they clear this up? if they won't do me any harm, I want to just try them.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question. I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help.Any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on citalopram 20mg for depression, no other medical issues and no allergies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should say more anxiety then depression and managing it well now
yes you can take those.they will work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. On the package label it says to take 1 every 8 hours. Can I take them more frequently and do I have to complete the full course of 21, or can I stop when I feel better?
No don't do it more frequently. follow the direction on therestop when you feel better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, thank you so much.... You've given me a light at the end of a tunnel and it's not a train coming in the opposite direction! ūüėäHopefully I'll be myself again soon!
:)