Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Decision about extending stay in UK related diagnostics

Customer Question

Decision about extending stay in UK for colon related diagnostics or return to US. Left US in October, during and after travel had uneven bowel movements, including diareaha, constipation etc. late November had pain in colon, referred to ER, identified markers of invention in urine and blood samples. Treated with coamoxiclav antibiotics. Pain/sensation in colon slow to subside. Diareah during antibiotics. Afterwards, uneven bowel movements still, some diareah, some constipation, few large fully formed stools,
I'm not very regular by nature but usually some longer healthily formed stools.
Went back to go for unrelated issue. Mentioned bowels not fully back to normal.
She is ordered testing for infection, chrones, and wanted to refer for colonoscopy
I Had routine colonoscopy at 50 - found 1 diverticuli and 1 polyp.
Will be 52 next week
If I decide to take her up on testing, then I have to delay return to USas it will add weeks to trip.
If I don't, then I should pick it up in U.S., but may be deterred by the 5000 cost of colonoscopy so need to be clearer about risk of not taking the diagnostics now.
I want information to help me understand what symptoms I should see as red flags for colon dysfunction, and to help make informed choice on whether to fly to the U.S.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionI'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to helpI would come home nowI see no reason for another colonoscopyyou just had one and you have no signs of Crohn's.This seems more likely to be related to bacterial disruption in the colon or maybe irritable bowelI would come back and see an internist here.You won't need a colonoscopy
please don't forget a positive ratingif you have more questions, just replyYou can try the FODMAP diet in the meantime. It will help your bowelhttps://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hellothis is a different expert with a different answer.I am a double board ceritified clinical doctor with over 20 years experience in this area.As I read your question, there is no indication you had a colonoscopy. You had markers of infection in the urine and blood.It sounds like there has actually been no diagnoses of the colon, but rather of urinary track infection.The possibility with the colon is diverticulitis, and you would typically need more than amoxclav to treat this effectively.Or, you are having residual diarrhea from the antibiotics.This can be c difficile, easily identifiable with a stool test.I would at least do a stool sample now, and have an exam. I would certainly do that before I got on a plane for a long flight.In addition, at age 50, if you have not had a colonoscopy, with any indication of colon problems, and particularly if there is a family history of such, you need a colonoscopy OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
augmentin will definitely treat diverticulitis
follow my advice and go to the US
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)
If you have more questions, just reply