Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had both my big toenails removed 4 and a half years

Customer Question

I had both my big toenails removed 4 and a half years ago. One removed the doctor added a substance to stop them from growing back. However, the toes bled a bit afterwards and I believe this washed a lot of the fluid away. Now still 4 years on I'm left with toenails that are trying to grow back but are not growing properly and are a bit unsightly.
Is there anything I can do to help the fully form?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you clarify in what way it is not growing properly?Can you attach a picture of the nails?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There is attached photos of both right and left toes.The growth is stunted and the nail is very thick but not overly tough.
Thank you for the additional information and the pictures. The appearance of the nails looks like there is a fungus growing under the nail that is causing the altered growth and thickening of the nails. The medical term for the condition is onychomycosis, but is commonly referred to as nail fungus. If the fungus is treated then the nails can grow properly and look much better. However, treating fungus under the nail is much more difficult than treating fungus elsewhere on the body. Topical anti-fungal medicines that are available over the counter frequently do not work well because they do not penetrate well under the nail. There are prescription topical anti-fungal medicine that work better than the over the counter medicines, but the best treatment for onychomycosis is one of several oral anti-fungal medicines, such as terbinafine or itraconazole. The oral medicines are also only available by prescription. So, if you are wanting to try something without seeing your doctor, then you can try an over the counter medicine. The do not work as well as the prescription medicines, but it is the best that can be done at home. If you want to start with the better medicine, then you would need to discuss this with your doctor. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the answer. So you don't think this isn't linked in anyway to damage done when the toenails were removed and the liquid was added to prevent the nails growing back?I'll try some over counter stuff first and if no improvement then I shall make an appointment.
Usually not. Any chronic nail condition or nail injury can increase the risk of developing nail fungus. However, the underlying condition that was the reason why the nails were removed in the first place is statistically much more likely to contribute to the development of nail fungus than the surgery and the liquid applied during the surgery.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok I understand. I had just wondered whether the fluid used, to kill off the cells and prevent the nail growing back, had been partially washed away when the nail beds bled and this caused the partial growth.But I really appreciate your advice and I shall be following up on what you have advised.Cheers
It is normal for the raw nail bed to bleed slightly after nail removal and usually does not alter the effectiveness of the liquid applied during the procedure. The liquid that is used during the procedure is directly toxic as it is being applied.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok superb, thanks for the explanation.I really appreciate your help
You are very welcome.