Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have been having intermittent sensations of something at side

Customer Question

Have been having intermittent sensations of something at side of throat for about three months, which last a few days, then go and then appear again some days later. Saw private consultant who put flexible camera up my nose - confirmed nothing wrong with throat. Felt sides of neck - confirmed smooth lump on left side. Said i needed ultrasound and biopsy. Ultrasound confirmed it was fatty tissue nothing to worry about and did not need removing - so did not even warrant a biopsy! No further on with throat symptoms - could this fatty tissue be lying one the side of my throat to give me these intermittent symptoms do you think?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
extra information - i only went private to get diagnosis - have nhs appt too on feb 17th - do you think i should still keep this appt?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when i get these symptoms it feels like some food caught somewhere enroute but not enough to make you gag or feel sick just sensations of something
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, it is possible that a growth in the soft tissue of the neck could place pressure on the throat from the outside that is perceived as something stuck in the throat. It would depend upon the proximity of the tumor to the outside of the throat, and most tumors or swelling in the neck will not do this. But if the tumor is in certain positions, it can cause sensation inside the throat. There are a couple of other comments that are pertinent. Your doctor is correct that fatty tumors, or lipomas, typically do not need to be biopsied. While it is possible that there could be a cancerous fatty tumor, called a liposarcoma, it is exceedingly rare, and it is more likely that someone will develop a serious complication of a biopsy of a lipoma. So, lipomas are typically not biopsied, and the only reason to consider a biopsy of a fatty tumor would be evidence of particularly rapid growth or a worrisome appearance on an imaging study, such as invasion of surrounding organs or dying tissue in the center of the tumor. Another medical problem that can cause intermittent sensations of something in the throat is from acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). A camera up the nose and looking at the throat can detect some cases of reflux, but a better diagnostic test would be a camera that is used to look at the entire esophagus and down to the stomach. Another test that is more sensitive is a 24 hour esophageal pH probe. If this camera only looked as far as the throat, then it may be helpful to get the camera examination of the entire esophagus. Another option would be to try an over the counter medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. It is reasonable to keep the appointment on Feb 17th, since you are still having symptoms. If you take an over the counter medicine and it helps to ease the symptoms, then it would not be necessary to be seen again. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my help you with future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/