Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I passed very red blood when l went to toilet in the back passage

I passed very red blood when l went to toilet in the back passage is it serious
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.By definition, bleeding per rectum is something that should be addressed in the ER. There are many causes, fresh red blood can be seen with anal fissures and an anal fissure is accompanied with a lot of pain which is excruciating and sharp. Bleeding hemorrhoids can also cause fresh bleeding but the blood is darker in color and mostly painless but with passage of stools.At your age, conditions like colitis, mesenteric ischemia, volvulus, polyps, rectal varices, coagulopathies and rectal or anal tumors are a concern.I would advise that you see a physician in the A and E or the urgent care for this.Hope this helps.I only get paid for my work on this site if you rate this answer using the star system on the top of your screen.The conversation can continue even after you have left a rating.Best.