Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Ive been taking lexatin 1.5 twice a day couple of

Customer Question

hi ive been taking lexatin 1.5 twice a day for a couple of months for some anxiety. My doctor has said it is fine to stop taking it - in other words he hasn´t given me a gradual reduction programme to prevent withdrawal symptoms etc. I would like a second opinion
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Your doctor likely did not give a tapering schedule for the drug because you are already taking a low dose of the drug. And it is certainly true that the vast majority of people taking such a low dose will be able to stop this dose without any withdrawal.
However, there are rare cases of people that are more sensitive, and it is reasonable that these people decrease the drug to once daily for a week or two and then stop the drug.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i have not taken it at all for a few days and am feeling a little anxious, would you suggest i take 1 a day for a week or two as suggested or stick with it now i havent taken it in a few days?
Yes, it would be reasonable to resume the drug at one a day for a couple weeks and then stop the drug.
Of course, even with a taper, it is possible that anxiety may resume after coming off the drug, since the drug may have been treating whatever level of anxiety may be present. But performing the taper will help from the perspective of whether there is any anxiety as a withdrawal symptom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you that helps
You are very welcome.