Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My 12 year old son is under weight, are there any supplements

Customer Question

My 12 year old son is under weight, are there any supplements I can give him to gain weight. We have tried appetite enhancing ones but no luck? He is 12 and weighs 32 kgs
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. What is his height? Were any investigations done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No proper investigations have been done. He has a poor appetite which is the main reason, we try encourage him to eat high fat foods and drink. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere­čś× Are there any weight gain supplements a child can take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 140 cm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Height
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. You are correct in looking for supplements, however the more correct way would be to know if there is any cause for his poor appetite. Investigations such as hormonal studies, complete blood count, and stool analysis are indicated. Please ask your doctor to do these tests. If there is a cause then treating it will be immensely beneficial. Besides he needs to be given a healthy diet with whole cereals, and lots of vegetables and fruits. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have previously seen doctors and done all the tests but all we have been told is that he needs to eat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They recommended a healthy diet as well as including lots of food high in fat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To help with the weight gain, he is just not a good feeder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, When were the tests done? Do you have the reports with you? Since when is he on a high fat diet? Was there any improvement?