Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I have this nagging knee pain in my left leg. It's not quite

Customer Question

I have this nagging knee pain in my left leg. It's not quite in the knee it is more on the medial/anterior just below the knee sort of position. It has bee nagging for quite a few months now. Some time last year I had a feeling that the knee was hyperextending and when it did this I'd get a sharp shooting pain in that area of the knee. Now I am finding that when my legs are playing up, and they are too tired for me to stand upright for long, I will lean against a wall or door frame for support and I'll get this sharp pain in my left knee which really annoys me beause I'm leaning to be more comfortable and then I get sharp pain in my new resting position, so I just can't win. What might be causing this pain.
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, there are two possible causes that can cause this, one is arthritis and other is damage to your joint ligaments which may have happened due to injury or inflammation. You need X rays of the joint to make sure it is not arthritis causing these symptoms. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A big question but not necessarily associated with the last one. Something I don't understand about exercise. I don't seem to benefit from exercise. My job is physical. There is a staircase that I climb many times at work, it has 29 steps in it. It tires me out every time, my legs ache, I get slower and slower, sometimes I have to stop to recover before I get to the top. How can I benefit from exercise if it tires me out?

Thank you for your reply, i think it is damage to your joint and will worsen if you do more exercise without first getting tests like x rays to make sure it is not arthritis, as it will get worse with exercise. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, thank you.

welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just forgetting the knee for now, why do my muscles in general not benefit from exercise?

Because they are in spasm around the knee joint, just a natural response of the body to prevent further damage by causing fatigue ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interseting.

Let me know how it goes with doctors appointment. Have a nice day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

welcome...