Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am not sure if I am in the right place as this is a

Hello I am not sure if I am in the right place as this is a genito/urinary issue. 10 months ago following sex with a new partner I developed mouth ulcers in my mouth and genital irritation (not sores) I suspected I had developed herpes and got a genital swab but it was negative... (I may have left it too long). I continued to get mouth sores ... like ulcers inside my mouth and horrible nerve pain all around my mouth cropping up. Since then I have had recurring sores inside my mouth and constant pain (like burning lips even when I have no sores) and I continue to have vulva pain (almost constantly)
I have had 4 blood tests for herpes (HSV 1&2 igg at 3 months 5 months and 7 months) and they are always negative. I asked my partner (now ex) to test which he did at 8 months post contact and he too has had a negative igg for both HSV1&2. I am at my wits end because I can't work out what this could be and I feel that we have both had false negatives. I can accept it is probably not HSV2 as a false negative for both of us would be unlikely and I believe HSV2 does not like to settle inside the mouth. I have been told I must accept 100% it is not herpes but I can't risk that it could be... what if I was to pass it to someone else? I could not live with that! I am not a believer in coincidences and feel that sex has triggered this. I have tested negative for other STDs as well. I am just stuck and cannot accept and move on! I have been told I have vulvodynia (as I am post menopausal and have pain on intercourse) but what about the mouth sores? Are there other things this could be? The medical people have said there is nothing more they can do now and I have to accept it as non specific and live with it. But that is very hard to do if there is a risk I could pass it on. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
sores in the mouth could be from lack of sleep and poor nutrition and lack of healing in the mouth.
this can cause mouth sores
you have been tested for herpes. you can not pass herpes to other people if you don't have herpes.
oral stomatitis, gingivitis, poor diet, lack of sleep can cause oral sores.
your tests show you don't have herpes
if you continue to have anxiety and worries about herpes, you might have to see a psychotherapist to have talk therapy and congitive behavioral therapy to help decrease your worries about having herpes.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youI do understand that if I don't have HSV1 I cannot pass it on.
My concern is whether the tests could be wrong in both me and my ex partner. Also whether outbreaks inside the mouth (inner cheek and sometimes on my gum but never external) are usual for HSV1 (and also the burning lips and soreness around my mouth) In the absence of a diagnosis I feel a bit adrift. I do understand some support for the anxiety this causes would be very beneficial for me. I'm otherwise healthy and eat a good diet of vegetarian fresh food and take regular exercise although my energy level are at a low right now. I have had autoimmune blood tests (all OK) and I am awaiting a vitamin B12 test.Thank you for your help it is most appreciated
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your tests are not wrong
you have had 4 tests so far.
you might need to get more sleep or get a sleep study to see why you might not be sleeping well which can cause sores in your mouth
lack of proper restful sleep at night time can cause sores in your mouth.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician