DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a bad throat cough last month which has its

I have a bad throat cough for the last month which has its moments of wheezing, and definitely a lot of barking. It gets worse at night, especially in stale environments. When the air heating in the house is on, it kicks off the coughing. I have been to my local GP and they prescribed Lansoprazole for a period of 30 days back in late December believing this cough was related to silent acid reflux. They checked my BP, pulse, and breathing stating my lungs were clear.
I am now near the end of my prescription, and feel nothing has changed with this cough. It is still just as bad as the day I went to my GP. I am growing increasingly concerned that the diagnosis of it being acid reflux related was in error as the medication is not working, and I have additionally being changing my diet to improve general health and avoid trigger foods. I am drinking warm drinks notably green tea with immune system support properties, and plenty of water, but nothing seems to be lifting this cough.
Please can you assist as I feel if this cough continues much longer, it may become a chronic condition which I can't afford to have. I have career studies which are being disrupted by this, my job as well, not to mention my genuine desire to get myself in shape through the gym, so I would appreciate getting to the bottom of this, and as my GP is closed until Monday, I thought I would seek out advice here.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
We do not diagnose or treat here.
We answer question.
In the case of cough from acid reflux, it can take a full 6 weeks or longer before results are seen after treatment is started.
I would discuss this with your GP, and give this , say 8 weeks.
Chronic conditions that are serious, for the most part, are easy to rule out with:
exam
chest x ray
sinus exam
If these were done it is not likely to be a serious lung disease.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Wasn't looking for a diagnosis, just some advise about what is happening with my general health.I will definitely be going back to my GP on Monday for a further prescription anyway, but I guess what I am asking is, is there anything else in terms of advice that can help alleviate the conditions - ie home remedy advice?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Not with out a diagnosis.
You would not know what you are treating.
However, with reflux, there are home maneuvers.
Raise the head of the bed on 6 to 8 inch would blocks.
Lose weight as indicated.
Eat small, whole food, cooked meals.
If you would like an integrative medicine take on this, see my add services offer.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that, I'll bear with it for the period of time you suggested and see how that goes.