Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My vagina is sore and itchy, I'm also getting a lot of

My vagina is sore and itchy, I'm also getting a lot of discharge. I've recently come off my pill. I've been struggling with discharge for over a year and a half now I can't go on like this anymore :( none of my swabs ever come back positive but I know this is not right. If you see by the opening it looks like there are a few cracks in the skin, the skin on the lower part of my Labia is also flaky, I have attached some photos. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question.Do you have any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No apart from eczema.
have you tried meds for it?or gels?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried all sorts, had several courses of antibiotics over the last year and a half, tried canesten about 2 months or so ago but not really having any luck. All I'm using now is epi-max cream to wash. I've also suffered from an anal fissure but this has healed now (thank god.) Both the GP and clinic said the anal fissure has no relation to my vaginal symptoms. I am extremely stressed out & anxious about it all. Could this be something like herpes?
This is not herpes.Most likely it is bacterial vaginosisHave you tried metrogel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I havnt tried the Gel. Is it possible to be BV when it didn't show up on the last swab tests I had done which I think were in December?
yes, BV often times doesn't show up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just so confused with all of this. The discharge I have goes from white to slightly yellow to watery. Do I go to the GP & ask them to test again? They are probably sick of me :(
I would just ask for metrogel to treat it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think could be the cause of it? Because if it is BV it seems to be recurring time after time. I also spent about 8 months last year where I had a lot of bad smelling brown discharge, which when treated with antibiotics went away for a week then came back again. it finally went of its own accord in about September last but my GP sent me for an ultrasound where again nothing was found. My discharge has never been normal since then. I just wish there was a cure for this all I want is to be able to wear a nice pair of underwear without ruining them and move on with my life. My anxiety is probably making the symptoms worse also.
The antibiotics you took probably disrupted the normal vaginal bacteriaA probiotic can help too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So should I try to avoid antibiotics if that's what the GP gives me to treat it? I recently had a course of amoxicillin also for a tooth abcess would this antibiotic affect the area too?
Yes, any antibiotics you take can disrupt the vaginal PH and bacterial flora
I would try to avoid any antibiotics if possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think me taking antibiotics has caused this? is there anything I can get in the supermarket that will help this until I can get to the GP on Monday? I have daktacort & eumovate cream although these are probably too strong for this area? I have e45 cream & epimax also? Are any of these safe to use down there & can I apply them on the sore that's actually right by the vaginal opening?
1)yes, possibly2)No, there is nothing in the supermarket3)I wouldn't use any of that. Just metrogel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks very much for your help!
welcome :)please don't forget a positive rating for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I have experienced burning sensation in my vagina?
Just follow my advice above and leave it alone.You might be putting too much stuff on it and causing irritation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havnt put anything on it until tonight i just put some canesten, it also burns when I pee?
might have a UTI.stop using that canesten if its not helping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only put it on about an hour ago so I shall see how i go with it. There's no way this could be herpes though right? I'm freaking right out!
No, this isn't herpes. I'm sure of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also had a rash from shaving another expert on here told me it was follicitus, would this have any relation to any of these symptoms? Do you think this could be a bad case of thrush? The symptoms seem to be very typical-stinging whilst peeing, discharge, burning & itching. Also I had a small amount of blood along with a few black specks in my stool this morning. Do you think I should request a test for herpes just to be sure? I mean I had the first blister swabbed and it was negative is there much chance this could be wrong?
mind accepting additional services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have accepted.
Thank you very much. I didn't realize you shave in the area.That ABSOLUTELY could be the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely this would not cause the cracks by the opening though or cause discharge as there's no hair there? I really want to stop shaving but I can't stand the itch when it starts to grow back so I end up shaving again.
I think this irritation absolutely could be the culprityou have to stop shaving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had never considered this. I have been shaving for a long time though & although I sometimes get a few bumps here & there they are never anything like the rash(follicitus) I've got now & ive never experienced the burning before? how would this cause the cracks right by the opening though?
shaving very strongly irritates the skin and removes the protective barrier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so this is not yeast or BV but possibly due to shaving? Or are you implying that the removal of the hair is making me more susceptible to these infections?
No I don't think it is BVI think it is just irritation from shaving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still struggling to see this as the razor goes nowhere near that part of me only the external parts?
I thought the irritation was where you were shaving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have uploaded a photo of the rash which I was told by another expert from here was follicitus. Yes this is the area I do shave
that is definitely follciulitis.I'm 100% sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whereas in this picture can you see the paper cut like sores each side of the opening? I do not shave this area.
ok. I see what you are saying1) the first pic rash is folliculitis2)that other interior rash is probably BVNot yeast. Stop using the antifungal and get metrogel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am sure of follicitus too as it is getting better already & I havnt really done much to treat it I've just left it alone. Does BV cause symptoms like burning & soreness while urinating?
yes, it does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not distrusting you but when I google BV it says that it doesn't cause a rash or lesions just discharge & discomfort?
I don't really see a rash or lesions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to show you in this photo where I think these abnormalities are I have put the text 'below' on the image it would not let me draw a circle around the patches so if you look just below the writing can you see the red patches of skin?
That is a very irritated looking mucosa but not really a distinct lesionI see what you are talking about but I wouldn't call it a lesion per se
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I agree it's not a distinct lesion it's not lumpy it's just like darker patches of skin. I guess I shall have to just go to the GP on Monday again and see what they say :(
try to stop shaving and putting so much on it.ask for metrogel at the GP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will update you on Monday on my GP's opinion on this, thank you for your help.
welcome, yes i would like to know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just noticed two small cuts around my anus now aswell :( what the hell is going on
can you open a new question and request me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been to the doctors this morning and my GP thinks it is mild thrush following my recent course of antibiotics for a tooth infection, she has prescribed me canesten cream & pessary so hopefully this will work. Thanks again for your help.