Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 55 years old, around 12 years ago had umbilical hernia

I am 55 years old, around 12 years ago had umbilical hernia , I lost my belly button and it was large hernia, I have had a lump in my belly for some What symptoms should I be worried about.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The most common reasons for a lump after umbilical hernia surgery are not worrisome. It is certainly true that you could be feeling a stitch that has formed some scar tissue around it. It is also possible that it is a prominent collection of fibrous tissue that formed in the wound and is now a small collection of fibrous tissue, called a fibrom. It certainly is possible that the hernia can recur, and a hernia can have serious complication, such as incarceration or bowel obstruction. The symptoms that would be most worrisome would be significant pain associated with the lump, and sudden severe pain would be the most worrisome. It also would be very worrisome if significant nausea and vomiting were to develop. If these symptoms develop, it would be appropriate to be seen urgently. If it continues to get progressively larger, that also should be checked, but it would not be necessary to be checked urgently. If you are not having any of these symptoms, then there is no reason for concern and it would be fine to go on holiday. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi , The lump or hernia is upper middle stomach, I have been suffering sickness problems for many years usually just feeling sick and uncomfortable. I do not like any of my clothes around my waist pushing on it, it is not bad pain just uncomfortable.
Mild pain, discomfort, or nausea are not worrisome and would not be a reason to be seen quickly or to avoid going on holiday.