Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Experiencing bad stinging pain when urineateing

Customer Question

experiencing bad stinging pain when urineateing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Stinging pain with urination is most often seen with an infection, although there are several types of infection that can be present. In someone that is sexualy active, the first concern is whether this is an infection of the tube that drains the bladder, called a urethritis, and there are two common sexually transmissible germs that can cause urethritis - gonorrhea and chlamydia. Chlamydia infections are more common and tend to have fewer associated symptoms, whereas gonorrhea will usually cause more severe pain and also more often cause a discharge from the penis. There also are some other germs that are not sexually transmitted and can infect the urethra or the prostate, which would be the most common cause in someone that is not sexually active, but still could be the cause in someone that is sexually active. At this point, the appropriate next step would be a visit to a doctor, who can perform an assessment for the various infections and start antibiotics, as appropriate. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you desire my assistance with any future questions, I can be accessed directly via my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/