Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have self harmed 20 years. I have received therapy

Customer Question

I have self harmed for over 20 years. I have received therapy many years ago to deal with the root cause of the issue. Recently I have found that I have self harmed more and it has been related to emotions and moods. The day after I have self harmed, I find that I'm really low and emotional. The following day, I feel quite happy. I am finding that experience more high and lows, some quite intense and more regularly than normal. I have never had medication before and refused before but wonder if medication can help me and if I should visit my own GP
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I think your observation is right on.The mood fluctuation is the likely cause.Hence you will benefit from a mood stabilizer.Valproate or Lithium can be considered to stabilize and uplift your mood.Please discuss with your doctor soon.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/