Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I would like advice about an ovarian dermoid cyst

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,What exactly you want to know about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was diagnosed with one on my ovary about 3 years ago its 5cm and quite flat. It hasnt caused me any problems but just recently ive been having weird pains at different areas round womb area and hip. as the pain moves around could it still be ovary pain? and should i have had it removed. It was scanned again and hadnt grown but everytime i google it, it says to remove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do suffer from ibs but this pain is slightly different from that and ive been getting weird symptoms such as very sore breasts/ nausea and early ovulation (Usually have perfect cycle) i was diagnosed when i was 8 weeks pregnant.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for reply,Yes the pain can be related to the cyst and could be because of the cyst pressing on the nearby nerves, I would suggest it is always better to get it removed. Sophisticated gynecologic surgical techniques are often needed to remove the dermoid cyst and prevent possible complications. High-definition fiber tracking guidance may be beneficial in the resection of an intraparenchymal dermoid cyst by means of a minimally invasive endoscopic port. You should discuss about its removal with your doctor as the symptoms can be because of the cyst and sometimes it can rupture spontaneously as well.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the pain doesnt have to be in the area of the cyst? how can you tell the difference between ibs pain and ovary pain? I have discussed removal of cyst and im quite happy to have it done but I have been told there is no need as its not growing. Should i be then questioning my doctor on this?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
actually dermoid cyst can not cause pain itself, It cause pain when it irritates or press on nearby nerves which can radiate towards hip area. Yes you should discuss with your doctor about removing this cyst as you are concerned about this pain and though rarely it can transform into cancerous form and it can rupture as well.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all sounds quite scary. Can it make my ibs symptoms worse? they seem to have multiplied since the pains came on.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes, any sort of stress, physical or mental can make IBS worse. The pain might even be due to the IBS itself. The best course of action will be to get an Ultrasound done to see the behaviour of the cyst, whether it has increased in size or is static. If the cyst in the ovary is static, then this pain is not due to the cyst. If it has increased in size then further work up is advised.
Hope this helps.
I only get paid for my work on this site if you rate this answer using the star system on the top of your screen.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.